Monday, April 14, 2008

More on alpokat


I have more to write about the trips to Sumatera, but I'd rather blog about the fruit first since a few people asked about it.

The reason why I never bought avocados here (those from Oz and NZ) was because they are just too expensive and I just didn't know how to eat it. Not very keen to it it on its own. I know Mexican use it a lot but I never try making Mexican food;). Later I read people use it in sandwitches but I never tried it.



Well, I finally brought home some in the second trip and managed to take pics and made my own juice or I'd rather call it puree. I'm not sure of the exact recipe they use in Sumatera but I just gathered for the juice milk and chocolate syrup are sufficient. I just scooped the ripe flesh of the alpokat and blend it with milk. I twirl some choc syrup (I use Hershey's) on the inside wall of the glass and pour in the mix.



Anyway, I love eating the fruit without being pureed, I just scoop the flesh and have it with choc syrup again and cold milk. If you prefer to have this in Indonesia, make sure you mention that you want it to be scooped (or the word is 'kerok';)), or you will get it blended. Over there I always saw that they serve it with ice.
I also tried it with Milo sprinkled on top;). Think alpokat and chocolate is just a good combination!

Not having a bibik that I can send home balik kampung and return with kilos of the fruit, I'd finally given in to the temptation. I just needed to have my fix one day last week that I just bought the more expensive ones, RM4.90 per piece.
I was just wondering why we don't have them imported from Indonesia, but was just so surprise to find them in a supermarket near home a few days ago. The same place I bought avocados the first time. I was delighted. It was RM3 per piece, can get almost 2 kilos in Indonesia;).

Comparing both, I agree with Lyza that the one from our nearer neighbour tastes better. Read more about alpokat wikipedia .



7 Comments:

Blogger amira shasmeen said...

Wow ..looks really yummy!! I haven't tried buying them yet. I have the gadget where u can do avocado strips and all ... berangan lebih ..tapi tak buat pun. After reading this post ... I think I will go and buylahhh ...

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh...sedapnya nampak..nanti buat eh bila k eydd p rumah awak...

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv avacadoes! Acquired the taste after dear kakak brought back 20 plus of the fruit (she knows that her mami & papi r such health nuts!) during her Raya break. DH & Abj takes it with a bit of pepper & salt while I luv to eat it plain. I'm sure it's heavenly with the choc syrup but I dont want to have the calories & make this superfood become unhealthy.
Yes RM 3 for the fruit here is very cheap! I get it from my wet market the cheapest at RM3.50 (but not easy to get)whereelse Cold Storage sells at RM4.50.

It's good for kids too.

11:59 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Lyza...go buy and blog la, want to see the gadget. Alpokat is a must-have now for me. Want to have variation how to eat it.

k eydd...no prob!

a&a'mom...pepper n salt, can't imagine how's that taste. RM3 here is alpokat (fr Indonesia), normal ones still like RM4 something!

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm...avocado and chocolate syrup sounds yummy! Lucas used to love just the fruit when I'd scoop it on top of his breakfast cereal.

I think I can only take avocado in the Indonesian es teller. My poor Indonesian students had their bags of avocadoes confiscated by customs when they brought them over!

Wonder if the customs folks ditch them or dessert them? ;-)

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still can't bring myself to buy them. coldstorage selling at 3.49 last week. For that price, I could get two nice small mediumish papaya, after making papaya smoothie with half of one for the family still have a fair bit left. Now you know how tight fisted I am.

5:25 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Kittycat..why would they do that. We packed ours in a box, and they got through. But all the ripe ones smashed up, luckily we bought some unripe.

mrs b...go buy one, then decide that you don't like it...try la, if you can ;)

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home