Wednesday, May 23, 2007

30-week check-up, and the doc gave me the ultimatum!

A bit nervous, I went in to see my ob-gyn on Monday. Head hung low, I explained reasons for missing last month's check-up. I didn't have to do that, but it was more to comfort myself, really.
Talked mostly on the trips and some fieldwork I did. And another trip in June to Kota Kinabalu.

Relieved to hear that the chills that left me in bed whole night, twice could be just normal fever. Also, I should not be worried too much of the exposure of malathion, chemical in anti-lice shampoo (that I applied to the girls, they got it from school) but later on myself as I thought I could be infected too. I only read the label again later and found out it is not meant for pregnant moms, got me a little freaked out but the doc said it is more worrying for prolong exposure, I only had it for less than 10 seconds.

Mothering Mothers is also like a small moms-get-together. That day, my tummy had been a topic to the moms, on why it was just too small for 29-week, and how my baby curled himself in there had been a huge question. I got too much of such remarks that sometimes I do wonder if the baby grows well. Mentioned that to the doc., but it is not new to her as she herself always comments on how small I am whenever I lift my shirt for scanning, during all pregnancies.

Upon getting the scan image, she annouced that the look of the tummy was deceiving. The baby grows well, even showed me that growth chart, he is eaxctly 30 week. But a few more seconds into it, she said "orang ni tak duduk diam, betul tak?". I instantly nodded, but said I just thought it could be due to him being a baby boy. She quickly went to the genital, and announced "He is still a boy" hehe;). A few more seconds she said he was getting his way down a little bit fast, and continued with "The best way to prevent premature birth is by resting a lot".

Thought I missed a heartbeat there. She asked if I'd been getting contractions. Said, I felt my womb hardened a few times (especially after sex;), but didn't say that to her) and I asked her if there was a possibility. She said she could not confirm but I'd been too active, and I should slow down a bit (thought she would continue...sexually and prepared myself to be a bit embarrassed, but she stopped at that...fuhhh lega!) . At the rate the baby is 'doing', there is a possibility for an early birth.
sidenote: I'm comfortable with her, she IS my doc for all pregnancies but still a bit uncomfortable when talking about sex

She then asked if I'd been under stress lately, and I let it go again, on the being in-out of hospital, BIL's death and hubby's outstation work. Though I never called it as stress, now I must admit it might have some affect on the pregnancy.

She further explained, the most crucial was the next 4 weeks, as normally babies born before 34 weeks still need ventilation. She emphasised that all I needed was that 4 weeks, and announced my next trip to KK would be the last one.

Head hung low again, I almost whispered "How about my fieldtrips in early July?" but I quickly said "Ok, ok...I will restructure my schedule". She said "People reschedule as soon as they find out they are pregnant" Adussss....

Anyway, I'm not overly worried about that and not taking it lightly too. For the past two nights, only very simple dinners and I left buttoms (the kids';)) cleaning to hubby. I shut my system down (dunno if I use the right words...hehe) by 10 pm, while getting Bea3 to sleep and left the other girls to their papa. It is good to wake up at 6 am, refreshed! And I got no contractions the whole two days.

I've been always a bit worry on premature birth, especially knowing that being underweigh before being pregnant (as I always am, and actually at 30 weeks, I only gained enough to reach my ideal weigh) is one of the factors. I always talked to all my babies to stay in me till the time they were supposed to be out;). And I'm talking a lot more now to my baby, on how I enjoyed having him in my tummy, on how I love having those poking little arms and legs that tickles me from the inside, on how beautiful it is having hubby too, feels the kicks whenever we cuddle with our tummies in contact, on how I enjoy sex without having to worry about being pregnant...opps, this one I never exactly mention to the baby;), only to the father hehe!

Anyway, at this stage, besides him growing just well, one good news is with his position, we are sure that we would not get the worry of having a breech baby. Though the doc could tell he's been active, he was just quiet during scanning. And you can see his hand on his cheeck on the pic above.

Talking (and writing) about my babies always lifts me up...I should get back to work.

14 Comments:

Blogger WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

Nice to read updates on the little one. Am excited.

Each time I read your blog, I am left truly inspired..how you can still do research actively, with 3 kids and another one on the way. Supermum & Superwoman I award you.

9:14 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

wmd...thanks but still think I'm far from being one;). Anyway, think I'm ok due to healthy and easy kids I have, a very good babysitter, a supporting hubby and a very flexible job (I'm sure u know what I mean by this one).

6:20 PM  
Blogger D said...

bukan revenge tapi ... just for fun. I've tagged you babe! Check out at my site, yeah??

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cringed when i read of your field trips months ago, you must have left that out of your gyne's knowledge. take care ya. dun make us worry for you ya :)

9:56 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

d...done that already!

mrs b..yes, I forgot to mention that too, but she cringed too when I mentioned caves. Am trying not to make anyone worry, while trying hard not to be left too far from my intended workplan/schedule. Thanks;)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Juliah & Faridah said...

hi there,
contractions eh? last month appoinment with gynae, she gave me bricanyl. sbbkan banyak sgt contraction. i think bcos of stress & banyak sgt jalan. now dah okay. (can read more in my pregnancy blog; http://thepregnantmama.blogspot.com)

I've got another appointment today. tak sabar nak tgk baby! :)

take care!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Buaya69 said...

yes, please please have a good rest, ok?

and about that Tongkat Ali offer, yes please. Book satu packet for Mrs B. This gives us a chance to see you, papa and the beas's ;)

11:06 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

haariz's mommy...you got prescribtion for that? Oh my, kalau I kena, lagi freaked out. Read a bit in your blog, looks yours is more frequent than mine. and yes, after a lot more resting, I just don't feel it that much.

Buaya...wokeh, will call hubby now!
I'm sure one packet is more than enough for her something-something-sinisitus. And we will see if that will give you two other 'side-effect' from the rest...hehe!

11:16 AM  
Blogger shoppingmum said...

Wah, it's been a while since I visited your blog and now you are expecting again!!! Great to hear that you are about to pop in weeks!!!

2:48 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Amy, seriously you didn't know. Thought I shouted the news loud enough in MMB;)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

waaah, fourth one coming ah... very productive alreadeaaa... as someone said above, you are quite a super-lady...

8:13 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

lrong...we always want a big family, this is a blessing though a little bit surprised.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weh superwoman ..

just put your feel up and just leave it all up to your wonderful superman pulak ..

just rest honey .. you know you may not need it but the baby needs it more.. so there .. hang those feet!

gartblue

3:35 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Thanks gartblue...been getting more than 8 hr sleep almost everyday now...hehe. And think I can relax even more that we are reaching 34 weeks;)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home