Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ketupat sotong, another food entry just to show that I cook;)

It will take a while for me to write about the trip. Here is a fast one. A friend came to stay with us for two nights when hubby was outstation in Sarawak, and we came out with an food idea, something that's never been cooked in my kitchen before: Ketupat Sotong or I'd call it Stuffed Squid in English.
You don't always get this dish, most sold during Ramadhan and as far as I'm concerned only in Kelantan food stalls. We soaked some glutinous rice in water for a while, later stuffed it into some cleaned squids. Normally we need to have a smaller version of skewer (well I'm not sure if I use the right word, people use 'lidi') to secure the head there, as not to get the rice comes out. But on that day, we just could get any, so some forks came in handy.
In the pot, we just chunked slied garlic, onion, ginger and druised lemongrass in some coconut milk. We added palm sugar (brown sugar) when it almost cooked.
You can imagine how squid tastes in sweet sauce. To me it simply either you like it or hate it. I just love it since I was a small girl, and since it is not that easy to get, I enjoyed every bite. As for hubby, he hates it, that's why we cooked when he was not around.
Anyway, I stole the pics from here, think I can just do it as I was the one who suggested to blog it;).
By the way, my kitchen, the pot and kettle look cleaner in the pics;)

5 Comments:

Blogger cemutkeyengge said...

hehe...sedap kan...pulut pagi dah buat hari tu kat keramat...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

I would love to take a bite at the sotong...

12:03 PM  
Blogger cemutkeyengge said...

Irong, u should try...aiyooo fishing guy, pergi candat itu squid n ask somebody cook for you maaa...fresh squid lagi kawww...

5:25 PM  
Blogger Yatie said...

ros...
i suke sgt ketupat sotong...
tapi tak selalu buat .... sometimes durig ramadhan ye...

u make me hungry baby...

i got lot of sotong at home... hmm

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mama22beas, just blog hopping around! hey, I love ketupat sotong that have sweet gravy! but my mom's version is slightly different with yours; i think she didn't put lemongrass, either way ketupat sotong is reallllllly my fav!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home