Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Pray for us

I just received a call from a doctor who is treating my brother in law, they have to put him on the life support machine. He said, they have to get him into a coma and he may not recover. Last week, he already emphasised that things were not good. "We may or may not lose him"...that his words.

I should be in the hospital, but I don't think I'm strong enough to be there alone.

I just mentioned about him only a few times in this blog, so maybe most of you has never heard of his condition. He has lymphoma, been fighting it for the past 5 years. He was my student, a brilliant man, in the Dean's award list. According to the doctor, it is not hereditary, he just got it because of his body react in such a way to the cancer cells. And his case is very rare. He made it sound that life is just too fragile.

BIL had bone marrow transplant in Nov., and it didn't really work. I cried on the way to the hospital to visit him soon after hearing about the result. I felt hopeless as we always talked about hope, with that news, I just didn't know what to say and how to face him. Surprisingly, he just smiled, even joked about it and said "Let's us just pray".

Later, he started not to talk and not to eat. He didn't even watch the TV and read. Everytime, I went in the room ( our apartment), he would always be asleep or just close his eyes. After the failed BMT, doctors put him on Interferon.

About 3 weeks ago, he had coughs and again admitted. Later, lung infection that the doctors are still trying to figure out the cause. 4 possibilities remain: the disease itself, infection, the drug or the reaction from the sister's bone marrow (through BMT).

He later was admitted to the ICU, about a week now. Two days ago, he asked me to get him 100-plus. Yesterday, I was there again and I could see he was breathing differently. He opened his eyes when I called. Asked if he wanted to drink, he just signalled "no" and closed his eyes.

And today, the call came. Most of the staffs here know him, but I'm picking up every bit of strength to inform them.

I don't know what to do, I even dread the thought of me walking towards the ICU again, in this situation.

Please, pray for us. I don't even know if I feel better now that I write this.

8 Comments:

Blogger knv said...

may allah give you all the strength needed to go through the ordeal...

allah menentukan segalanya..

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

insyaAllah, things will turn out for the better, irregardless as to whether we, humans, are aware of its benefits or otherwise.

i know exactly what you're going through mama22beas. my very own brother, a 30-something father of 2, was diagnosed with cancer a few months back, and a terminal one at that. the whole family, to put it mildly, is on 'standby'.

anything, and everything is insyaAllah a blessing in disguise.

for God only give when one has the strength to handle it insyaAllah.

take care.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear this. ((Big Hugs))

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mama22beas, insyaAllah petang ni kalau tak ada apa-apa hal, i'll be there to c u n him...

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my prayers for u & ur family. I've just lost someone remarkable in the family too, so hang in there.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your BIL in my pray. Be strong. Keep me update.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone. Actually this post was written on the spur of the moment, I mean the moment that I received the call. I felt really weak, and just didn't know how to react, and how to relate that news to others. Alhamdulillah, we hold one strongly to our faith and we are accepting.

nutter, it must have been a shock to your family. Think a bit different in our case as BIL has been fighting it for the last 5 years. Anyway, I'm sure you can relate to us.

lian...I will get back to you 'project' once we settle down a bit, ok.

And thanks again to Anamiraa, keydd, anne and sofhib.

mama23beas

7:10 PM  
Blogger cysev3n said...

semoga tabah. as usual, i will go speechless bila berdepan dengan kisah2 macam ni..

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home