Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cupcakes first attempt

I thought I was not much into cake decorating. But since I have little girls and I know how girls love decorating, I thought I must do cupcakes once in a while.

It just happens that tomorrow (or rather today), the kindy is holding a children party, sort of a farewell party before the school holiday. I was thinking that I wanted to do something to teach my kids to show some appreciation to the teachers. I was toying with some ideas, but was not very serious about it. I thought I was in a trance when I asked the headmistress today if it would be ok if I contributed something for the party. She said they didn't ask parents to give anything as they are not involved but of course would love it if we offer. I was not really myself when I asked her the exact number of all teachers and students in the kindy.

Anyway, I had commited myself and I could not run.
It is a 12-piece-big-and-120-tiny-cupcakes first attempt.

After 3 stops to get stuffs, I started at 9 pm and finally finished at 3.15.
Twelve big cakes and 24 small ones in a go. I knew right away the big ones needed trimming at the top.
The 3 girls insisted on helping of course. I let them decorate definitely. I'm not very proud of the result. We got no certain theme, there are alphabets, numbers, squiqqles, zigzag. Actually I was just lazy to make more icing and tried to make do with what we had. We had some cakes darker than the others. But for the kids as long as they could play with the colourful thingy, it was fun already;). That's the most important thing.
I ushered everyone to bed. Bea1 knew I would wake up again to continue and asked me to wake her up. She was so excited, and I told her she must sleep and I got a surprise for her in the morning!.
It is a bouquet of flowers for her and Bea2 to hand to the teachers....
with a little thank you note and lots of love!
Nice or not? The fetals are marshmallows, M&M in the middle, the stem is ready-made fondant with bought sugar leaves. Writings done with gels on also fondant. Thought of putting all teachers name but the board was too small for that.
Of course that idea is not originally mine, got it from the net and I did some modification. A lot of room for improvement but for now I think I deserve a pat on the back for this first big attempt. Now I'm going to bed with a smile on my face, and a hope that the kids will enjoy the party tomorrow (or rather today!).
Update: Tsk...I called that ready-made icing fondue, corrected already...anyway it was the very first time I ever laid my hands on them! And from last night, as much as I always get tempted by the looks of beautiful, perfectly-decorated cakes, I still think that I really need to wait for my youngest to be 4 years old (whenever that is as we are still keep on adding;). Anyway, the trip to the Cakeconnection makes me think that there is actually no more excuse for not baking our own birthday cakes at home!

9 Comments:

Blogger D said...

hehe... beautiful bouquet there! and cute original squiggles tuh!!

sorry, was just wondering, can you get halal marshmallows back home? sure cant get any over here!

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, inpressive. How do you survive all these late night bakes? I'm zonked off by 10pm, hehe.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im proud of u...thought that u just knows how to operate batu and bukit only..lepas ni I x boleh cari makan dah...didn't mean to downgraded u, just to provoke..hehe.. so that u'll bake for me too huh..

k.e

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW.... lawa nye... just got an idea for cuppies.. let's wait for thei b'day next year oct....
lovely

10:40 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

D, thanks;). Yup got to be careful with marshmallow. Luckily we don't really like them. Got a few that has Halal logos, but I trust the one that says it is from the Philippines Office of Muslims Affairs, some say product from Malaysia, got logo but it's just that...takdak Jakim or anything else. That one I don't trust la.
Even Hershey's says theirs halal but I never tried that.

Mrs B...once in a while only. Normally I get konk out by 10 also, but by staying up only I get to do things with much harrasment..haha!

K e...where got u cannot cari makan. I do this for fun only la.

Yatie...lots of idea from the net, I also had tough time which to choose;)

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ros, Cakecnnxn kat Jaya@One? Might bump into u someday ... That place has got me goin crazy ... Sometimes I do go to ICCA kat sebelah Digital Mall. More stuff there tapi parking susah .... BTW, I just enrolled myself for a cake decorating class which will start next week .... then hopefully will graduate to go into fondant deco. With Amira's demands for this cake n that cake ... I better go and learn and do it myself!! :P

Your bouquet of flowers are really cool!!!

11:39 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Lyza...ICCA tu belakang umah I je. Nak datang cakap ok? jaya1 pun kat my ofis backyard.. walaupun dekat never went to ICCA, ya la tak penah buat cake decoration kan. Wah...so excited that you enrolled the class, tu la with all the stuffs we can get there, buat rugi je beli mahal-mahal kat bakery ya?
Good luck!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blkang rumah u?????? Ish ish ish .... seronoknya ...

Completed my first lesson today ...so exciting!!! Lotsa tools and gadgets were used .... We learned the techniques of frosting a cake today (used butter cream Wilton style) ...

I just hope bb won't appear so early and allow me to finish the course by the end of the month!!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger BuffaFly said...

you are one really amazing woman. The cake looks great!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home