Monday, November 03, 2008

How do I like my choc chip cookies?

Less sweet, crispy and with lots of nuts! And nothing else.



And I didn't say they must be beautiful, did I?

I know choc chips cookies lovers have their own favourite recipes or maybe just settle for Famous Amos'.


I had found the best recipe, and made it a few times. A friend said I should start a business with it and I began to dream about starting an enterpreneurship already. But that would only happen if I stop doing geology;), which is very unlikely.

I found the recipe from the Star Kuali a few years ago, and thinking that it would be there forever I didn't bother to memorise it. It had been almost 3 years, and with the new oven I could not wait to bake my favourite cookies again.


I could not find the recipe in the website again. There are a number of recipes there, and one could only be accessed after getting a permission from the author. Tried emailing a few times but I didn't get any reply. Giving up, I tried two of those recipes available for the Eid but they were not the same...*sigh*.


After a thorough search in the computer, I was ecstatic when I found it at last. I thought I had saved it somewhere as I shared with a few friends before. Not sure if it is from Amy Beh (of Kuali) or anyone else. I'm sharing the modified version again here:


Choc Chips Cookies with lots of Almond;)

135 g butter

125 soft brown sugar

3/4 tsp vanilla essence


1 egg yolk


Sifted
175g plain flour
1 tbsp rice flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
40g almond chopped
50g chocolate chips
40g sultanas (I replace with more almond)


I toast the almond first. With the new oven, I used max temp. about 260C (like toasting a sandwitch) for two minutes. Think this is important as I don't think the almond would be toasted the same way when they are in the cookies mixture, I mean if you just use them raw. Once cooled, I grind them with mortar and pestle to have a mixture of fine and coarse bits.


Cream butter, sugar, essense and egg yolk until light and creamy.


Fold in sifted flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and add in almonds and choc chips. Mix well.


Shape the mixture into small limesized balls. Place balls on prepared trays and flatten with a spoon.


I use a fork instead to get the grooves on the top. And since I can never get enough of almonds, I add more here. I used to use slivers, but I tried flakes for the first time on Sunday. I figured, flakes would be crispier after getting roasted while the cookies being cooked. And yes, it would always be flakes after this;).

Bake in about 180C for about 15 minutes. I just found out from the the sifu that a lower temp. is sufficient in a fan-assisted oven, like mine. Er...actually my first 70 pieces were burnt at about 175C in about 12 minutes last night. We were only left with 30 pieces that were baked later. I turned to 160 and had to wait for 25 minutes. Maybe 170 C is the right one for mine.


Anyway, the obvious difference from the other recipes is actually the rice flour. Think that gives the crispier texture to the cookies.


And have you experienced some choc chips that are easily melted when being mixed, that they are like 'blended' together in the mixture and you can't really see them in your cookies? I have and I found out that Vochelle does not behave that way. I love to be able to really see the chips among bits of almonds on my cookies;).


The recipe gives you about 50 huge cookies, I normally double the amount to get more.

It is a hit to Bea2 too who keeps going back to the jar, but for Bea3 after she is done with the cookies, she picks up only the almond flakes and leaves cookies for mama to finish. Bea1 had a huge batch just after they were cooled from the oven.

Give it a try, and if you think your recipe is better, please share...I'd love to try more!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm...so tempted to get a proper oven...sigh..a lot of work to cut the alomonds into slivers kan?...envy

1:12 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

mrs b...aiyah, those almonds slivers and flakes are sold in the market la. Think to do that we need special equipment. Pounding with pestle and mortar very fast one.
Go get a new oven la...this saturday got Electrolux waresale...I'm going, I'm going!

3:16 PM  
Blogger D said...

alahai, you got me drooling here! So is this the recipe you've been using before or is it the most similar to it? and, what do you mean by modified? which part?

yes, must agree that everyone has their own favourites. Mine is one I took from Chef Wan's kellog's cornflakes free booklet many, many years ago. you see, with me, I don't like recipes with too many ingredients (esp those yang susah jumpa or yang expensive sangat!). So far, it has been a favourite to family and friends tapi i gotta try this one you've got here first to say anything else. i'll share it nanti, insyaAllah, when i find it and get around with it. but mine uses chopped white chocolates and walnut, instead of almonds.

3:27 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

D...yes this is the recipe I'd been using but I lost it for a few years. That's why I tried two other recipes (also from kuali) with modification to resemble this one but I didn't get the same result.

Er... about the modification...nothing much la, I believe the almonds must be toasted first which is not mentioned in the recipe. And I replace sultanas with almonds too as I prefer to have less sweet.

I never tried white choc before...and I don't use other nuts much (simply because I love almond most and it's the cheapest also;)). And I'm not really into cornflakes...but maybe I don't know much when it is combined with the other ingredients. looking forward to have the recipe from you!

4:41 PM  
Blogger D said...

for now, i don't want to bake. I just want yours!!! (not even the recipe. HAHAHAHAHAHA)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

Oh wow. These look fantastic. I'm so jeles. I don't even have an oven.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Gartblue said...

rice flour? must try. must try.

those look really good. good job, girlfriend!

anyways, my favourite is definitely these Best, Big, Fat, Chewy CHoc CHip cookies from allrecipes.com. Tried them countless times already and love them to bits. Great for school dos.


http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Big-Fat-Chewy-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie/Detail.aspx

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,
great minds think alilke.
i baru je beli choc chips and almond flakes to make cookies this weekend.
ur oven ada fan function jugak? did u use that?
so its only 180degrees celcius for 15 mins huh. cool.
btw, i baru dapat post reply on your blog. wanted to congratulate u on the new pregnancy much earlier, but couldnt get into comments for my firefox - maybe i didnt allow cookies ( pun intended).
anyhoo....Congratulations!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dug this out specially for you :). This recipe yg org dok fwd2 tu (this was fwded to me in 2003)... The one that someone claimed she was charged $250 when she thot it was $2.50. I tried it out and after several attempts (Leceh tapi berbaloi), I succeeded this year ... thanks to my Kenwood Mixer (you shld get one ..... gives you superb baking results ..next purchaselahhh!!)

Famous Amos (ala-ala)
Ingredients:
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal & blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Cadbury/Hershey bar (grated)
4 eggs 2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla (best if u can get the imported one, not the Star Brand)

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet..Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies..

Lyza

6:19 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

d...nanti kita jumap I mesti buat utk you.

Mg...get one la!

Thanks gart...taken a look at the recipe already, I will try it!

Fuzzy...great! 180C to me is already high, for mine 170 is ok already.

lyza..heard about the recipe been distributed. I don't really like famous amos, too sweet...will try that with less sugar. But alahai banyaknya bahan-bahan...but since u kata est, I'll give it a try! About new blender...lambat lagi la you, I pakai handheld type aje now!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home