Saturday, February 28, 2009

A challenge of being an educator

After trying to convince students from a course to come and see me to have one-to-one sessions, I finally received some emails. Was surprised as I hardly get emails from undergraduate students. I don't prefer to discuss via email, and never encouraged them to do it. Seeing one another face to face is more effective, I think. Anyway here's what I got:



I received an email dated 25th Feb, 20:53

asalamualaikummm

dr...

rock boundries tu outcrop keww dr


and at 21:00

assalamualiakumm drr

exercise 7 practical 4

b)give the compas directionn
tuu tulis kat map kew mcm ni kew



I got a little irritated even at the first one. He could just make an effort to look up the dictionary. Had the take a deep breath in when I looked at the second one. He was expecting me to dig that particular worksheet to answer him.

Anyway on 26 Feb, 16:04 I replied

Come and see me at my room around 2.30 pm tomorrow.

*signed*


I saw another email from him, sent at 20:45

im sorry dr...tak leh dtg


cozz tak dapat tiket awll

in jat bee noww


may be

i see u selase petang


I just hate it when I have to take even a few moments to understand what he wrote. And he actually put "maybe" as if he was the one who set the time for us.

My reply on 27 Feb, 16:32

Won't be in Tuesday afternoon. Why don't you stop emailing me and just come whenever you like. If I'm not in, just slip a note under my door, we will fix another date.

*signed*


This never happened during my time. Maybe internet was still not a big thing yet, then. I admit I didn't see lecturers much, but whenever I did, I waited at the door if I had to.

We complain a lot about our graduates. We, the relatively young lecturers had to attend courses for effective teaching to tackle the problems of the quality of the graduate these days.
But to me even communicating with them is already challenging, like the example I show above. I might further drive the student away from seeing me personally. I found it very hard to even implement what had been taught in the courses.

I had a foreign student that has the gut, despite of being provided notes and reading material, to ask me to summarise them for him according to what's going to be out in the test. I told him he had been asking me too much, "That's your work!" (Hubby said I should just said "Why don't you ask me to give you a degree right away!";)). I could not believe what he did later. He sulked, turned his back, packed his stuffs and left the lab while he still had over an 1 hour of revision. He didn't bother to sit for the test later.

And we are supposed to provide reasons if they do not perform well. Well, that sucks and that's one thing that I don't like about my job. Ok, enough rambling on saturday morning;).

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Can i say dat they r rude??

During my time too as uni student, i will just wait infront the lecturer's office til he arrive. And sometimes they never appearrr...hmm..wat a waste of time..

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG..u told me abt that b4 and i didnt think that they act sampai gitu...what to say...teruknya..naik lemak!

ke..

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tak pahama pasal ayat dia, kew means ke? or what...

oMG, u ni memang educator yang baik, kalau my lecturer dulu buat tak layan je tau

5:17 PM  
Blogger Moo Mummy said...

em... i knew where the student come from! In my place,usually will receive some uni student for attachment to learn or training. I can't tahan those luar negara student, refuce to learn is one thing, they also asking us to do their Master or PhD work for them and they will pay. Just ask us to give the quotation per sample!! Gila ho...

10:16 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

PM...yeah, that's what we did. If you think they are rude, I think they are not even aware of that.

ke...think they also don't know what naik lemak means!

Yatie...ya la, jat bee to pun tak tau eja betul-betul.
I can't imagine how they behave for interviews for jobs later.I tak kata I baik...I cuba buat the best I can for the job.

Moo mommy...you too? For us with the uni opens up more to foreign students now, lagi pening kepala. Our own pun dah sakit.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Moo Mummy said...

Ros, i wonder the quality of student nowaday??? Does it mean the supervisor have to do A-Z for them? hai... be independent lah. already 20+...

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dr, kew tu ape dr? tak paham. Saya ni zaman dinosaur.

HAHAHAHA.

10:36 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Moo mommy...some are still ok la.

Lil...I pun tak paham, sakit hati ada lagi!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Rayhana said...

Salaam :)

Been a while!!! mabrook on your pregnancy, mashaa Allaah :D

alamak, teruk also huh, undergrads nowadays. I agree with PM, during my time, we just wait and wait and wait.. quite frustrating ..
and what's with the SMS language la.. :/

Thanks for dropping by a while back ;)

12:17 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Rayhana...not sms but email. Thanks for visiting here. Wonder how you are doing now! Hope there are more updates on your blog...must go and read when I have the time!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home