Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Maternity wear - now and then

I'm 24 weeks now. The only thing that I hate about being at this stage is I'm too big for my normal clothes but too small for my maternity clothes. Think a lot of moms experience this, maybe at different stages.

At this stage I still don't look pregnant to a lot of people. Upon observation, I do look like a skinny woman with a tummy 'problem'. So wearing my normal clothes does not seem comfortable. I hate those pants with elastic bands too. Even when I pull the band it its maximum, I still have 'air' in between the pants and my tummy.

Psstt...before I move on, the lady who did the scan two weeks ago even said I have a cute tummy for a 22-week pregnant mom. Most docs I see say my tummy is small, but never cute...hehe.

I spent about RM500 when I was preggie with Bea1 in 2002. That's a lot of money for a student (was doing PhD that time) and I only felt comfortable in them in the last month. I was not really particular about the size (I just went for S all the time though) as being a first-timer, I didn't know how big I would get. I recycled when I had Bea2. I have two of those like the overall-kind of thing. One nasty male colleague said I did look like "Doraemon". That was painful and I stopped wearing them both.

I remember maternity clothes used to be BIG. Why must they made thin woman big and big woman bigger. And what I got was on sale...so I figured they were old stock with the old fashion.

I was reluctant to spend more for something that I would wear for only a short time (I didn't know we would multiply this fast, anyway). And yes, I'm kedekut as well. With less proper maternity clothes when I had Bea3, I just took whatever that hubby thought was too small for him. But I got easily tired of them.

So I went to Jusco in search for cheaper versions. What I got was things that really looked cheap, I don't like that either. Ok, ok you may say a begger can't be choosy. I bought one that I was only comfortable in during my 8th month onwards.

Then I observed the changes on the fashion...they made woman think they are sexy (or even sexier) when they are pregnant. Bums are supposed to be flaunt not hidden under pleats. So as the cleavage that comes with the increase of breast size. Then we see tight-fitting maternity dress everywhere, or tops with streatched cloth material with low neckline.

And they get more and more expensive. Anyway, I was determined to do away with my out-dated clothes. I went to 9 Months, got myself 3 tops that cost about a little over RM100 each. The staff convinced me that those could still be worn after pregnancy. I apologised to my boy and tried to inhale and made my tummy as flat as it could...hehe. Well, I agreed with her. I started wearing them last week and it was like finally shouting to the world that "YES...I'M PREGNANT AGAIN!". Haha...I just love looking at the expression of some of the staffs in my office.

I surveyed Modernmom and the other famous brand (forgot the name) in MidValley. Most tops are within the same price range, yeah what do I expect. I still don't like what I saw in Jusco.

I plan to buy a few pieces more. So moms, tell me what's your favourite, preferebly cheaper ones (if possible). I may have missed some good deals out there.

BTW, this is a pic of my tummy. Bea1 snapped a pic last night. It's nice to have a bigger kid who is observant and commented that the baby really grows (I mean by looking at my tummy). And that's not my new top, it is a dress that has a cutting that makes it possible for me to wear till I pop, I think. And I'm so grateful for that!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope not to let... kat JJ mid valley now ada sales.. maybe akak blh beli baju which can wear b4 and after preggy... i used to do that.. cos maternity baju is big for me...

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This round not like Adel time. Baby not "hiding". Love to see your tummy. --sofhib

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll give u a lipstick..put lil bit colour to ur face..so that more berseri-seri...nak? Hihi..

ke

2:04 PM  
Blogger Madre said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Madre said...

Try mother club in midvalley n i think there's a branch in 1-utama & sogo. The tops are reasonably priced n material pun best.

There's quite a few boutiques in 1-utama that sell maternity clothes. Mega sale ni la d best time to shop for stuff:)

Jusco sometimes has nice ones too:) Tapi nak kene belek one by one, it is very time consuming!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats dear..another boy for u..5 kids...another new life for you and family. How's Adel with the new bro in mummy's tummy?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Moo Mummy said...

Can't pinjam from friends? My tummy also look small. :P
I bought some cheap and quality not bad from Kamdar. Some are borrow from friends and some are previous old cloths.
Enough for 2 weeks if tak cuci... haha...

10:13 PM  
Blogger Moo Mummy said...

I upload my tummy picture at Facebook taken by Yang as my profile photo. Find me at allisialee@yahoo.com

10:18 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Yatie...the prob is I ni tetap kurus juga, wearing maternity clothes makes me look like sarung bungkus nangka!

sofhib...looking at the bathroom scale, I didn't gain much from last pregnancies. That pic is for posing only...in ny normal clothes people think I don't look pregnant yet.

ke...lispick bukan takde, malas je nak make up ni.

Madre...thanks, yes that what I meant, Mother Club. Still a bit to the expensive side for me la. Anyway, will make a trip to 1-U too and hope to get good bargain.

PM...Adel does not really show much reaction, tak faham lagi la. But he clings more to nen-nen now.

Moo Mommy...nak pinjam segan la. Kamdar? Didn't know they have...will see some cheap ones there. Wah...u memang rajin masuk facebook ya, nanti la I tengok.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home