Saturday, August 01, 2009

Childhood relived

I always wanted it for my kids even before I have kids. The feeling was stronger when I had Bea1 and Bea2. But firstly it was just too expensive, secondly the common ones in the market are those made of hard, colourful plastic. I prefer wooden type that resembles the real thing more.

I had fogotten about it for a while until last year I got some ideas from the net. A DIY version. Since then, I kept thinking about making it myself with whatever I have at home. BUT that involves a few trips to carpenter shops, DIY shops and some tedious and dirty painting work. Ok la I admit, I'm not much of a DIY type and hubby won't not get involved in that kind of project.

It had been postponed and on and off forgotten until I saw the catalogue of gifts for credit card point-redemption from shitty...ops I mean citibank;). There was one there, the hard plastic type. Tired of waiting, I thought I just redeem it and showed the catalogue to Bea1 and Bea2. They were so excited and Bea2 could not stop asking when they would get it.

But flip-flop mama still thought she was not really into the plastic one.

Still, I could not get it out of my mind. I just got to have one!

And yesterday, during my weekly Ikea trip I saw it and my heart just missed a beat, followed by adraneline rush and I thought I was going to get a stroke (ok, I'm exaggerating). I didn't see it on the first day of sale (17th July, it's Atef's 41st day, I must celebrate end of confinement there;)), and I didn't go to the children section during our trip on previous Friday.

I moved towards it, gazed lovingly and ran my fingers on every inch of it. My heart melted just like cold butter on some warm scones.

What followed was like the scene from "Confessions of a shopoholic" when Rebecca Bloomburg saw the green scarf for the first time.

It would hurt my wallet...I shouldn't. Then again...I have always wanted it for years. But kids don't really need it,maybe...then again Bea2 has been asking everyday. I could just DIY it, if people in the net can do it so can I. Then again...they may not have a small moody baby and the image of me sweating and most probably cursing over some stupid drill etc is not so pleasant.

BUT it is still expensive, and as a new product it's not on sale and to wait for it to be in the As Is would be too long...then again, I'm Ikea Friends member, make a total purchase of RM500 and I can pay it over 6 months, with no interest.

Finally I sighed "I'm taking it back, YES, YES, YES!"

Something struck my mind and I looked at the time "Shoot! Bea1 will finish school in 5 minutes". Alhamdulillah for the neighbour cum colleague that is always helpful, one call and she would fetch her.

I grabbed two reading lights that are on sale for Bea2 and Bea3, and some light bulbs and made my way to the warehouse. With some helps from the staff (I was not capable of pushing the trolley and Atef's stroller with only two hands;), I managed to get it to the car.

At home we loaded the rather heavy flat-packed (two boxes) on the stroller and Bea1 helped to push. I was watching Nur Kasih (I can't believe I watch this!) while watching my kids play. They looked ok without the new toy and I started to have a doubt if that was worth it.

Anyway, once the smallest 3 went to sleep, we started assembling it. Both girls looked like they would explode with anticipation. I took some time and had a break to feed Atef and asked the girls to go to bed as they were just fighting not to doze off. I got up again and finished working at 3 am *yawn*

Tada....


Tell me, which girl would not fall for this. And the moms too! It is just like a mini real thing, and the birch and white match the other furniture in our house and the kitchen too. Lovely!

Look at the induction hobs, they are battery-operated. The hobs light up when on. The girls were delighted. Something I would not have if I make it myself. Bea2 is so happy, she said now they have a proper kitchen for their masak-masak and restaurant pretend play;).

Check out the DIY/hack ideas in ikeahacker. If you don't know already, it is an awesome blog originated in Malaysia and started by a Malaysian. This is what I call "Malaysia Boleh", not some 'kuih kapit terpanjang di dunia' and such...hehe!

I'm sure girls (big and small;)) would drool on them especially those in pink. I still think some of them look even better than the piece from Ikea and I also believe Ikea designer got the ideas from there;).

Anyway, I'm glad Ikea has it for sale. It gives a lot less hassle to people like me.

And why there is no mention about the big guy in the family? He is away on a business trip to Bangkok for a week and will be back this evening and be surprised;).

Having said all the above, I admit the play kitchen is more for the mom to relive her childhood;), then again the kids love it to bits. So, it is all worth it! (Ada sikit nak sedapkan hati juga...;)). Preparation for Raya this year will be minimal, for sure.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh i wanna buy one for myself..ngee...masak-masak play always is my passion..

ke

9:20 AM  
Anonymous lyza said...

Soooo ..seronok .... Miya got the plastic one for her bday ..and she loves it to bits. I saw the wooden set kat Thinktoys kat The Curve ..tapi punyalah mahal ..and there is no where to fit in the hse anymore ...:P .....Tak berani nak tunjuk Miya this posting coz I KNOW she will want one!!!! The girls sure seronok betul nak main nih ...!!!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eiiiii bestnya --sofhib

11:42 AM  
Blogger nuhaafnan said...

i love this! hmm if only ikea ada kat penang sini.

no need handy manny here, momma's a handygirl herself!

10:01 AM  
Blogger chanelwong said...

oh gosh....i love it....
soooo tempted lar.........

11:39 AM  
Blogger zan said...

wow!! i saw this one too and it's gorgeous!!

the girls n mommy must have been having jolly lolly time aye ;)

4:33 PM  
Anonymous mrs b said...

goodness, looks like the real thing and i had to relook a couple of times just to be convinced its just a toy..... really a?

5:46 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

K e...semestinya.

Lyza...bukan main lagi happy, yang boy pun sama tau.

raggedyanne...bila turun KL tu boleh la, flat-packed boleh muat keta aje:)

Chanel...go and get one for urself la

Zan...it even makes my messy house looks better;)

Mrs...yes, made of the same material used for most ikea stuffs. One friend also called to ask if that's real toy...;)

12:51 PM  
Blogger ila de cute said...

OMG, i love it too...tp sayangnya I have only 2 boys and hubby must do not agree if i want to get this...well for myself...

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Guide to Bangkok Hotels said...

I got into your blog when researching for what people thinking about Thailand. It's very useful information for my planing trip in Bangkok. Thank you so much...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Kit said...

Ooh, nice!!! How much was it? My boy loves cooking utensils also and this would be so fun for him and his lil sister to play together. Hopefully, they'll turn into cooks and Mum can retire LOL

I so agree with you about shittybank - their redemption programmed USED to be so good :P

8:41 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

KittyCat...all together RM388 (the most expensive toy for us;)). But you can also buy only the bottom part as it is sold separately with the high cabinet.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home