Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Acar Ikan

We decided to have Acar Ikan for dinner last night. A recipe from my mom-in-law that I just loved but never tried myself before.

Asked hubby to call her for the recipe, and while driving home with the girls, I received his call:

Hubby: Where are you, can talk or not?
Me: In the campus, driving home...hurry la.
Hubby: Get a pen and paper.
Me: Hurry la...*prepare to make mental note*
Hubby: Bahan-bahannya...shallots, garlic, onion, ginger, chillies and vinegar. Eh, our house got vinegar or not??
Me: Got leh...just bought!
Hubby: Slice shallots, garlic, ginger....saute till fragrant...and alamak must use fennel, got or not?

foen_01

Me: *rolled eyes*... bought also. Eh..please la, don't be so loud...I don't want your whole office know you're teaching me to cook
Hubby: Ok, ok...how about cucumber?
Me: Gottt...hurry up, no need details I know what to do leh...it is just that, vinegar when to put?
Hubby: After you get the wangi-wangi smell, pour some vinegar. Must add water you know?
Me: Ok, done...bye, muah!
Hubby: Don't forget to season a bit la....and the fish, deep fry first.
Me: I know le...bye!

This how it looks

03160001

The fish was deep-fried with salt and tumeric, and I added salt and sugar for seasoning.

It was a huge cut of fish and I served it in the wok from the fire directly to the table.

Hubby suggested that Ikan Merah is the most suitable for the dish. A comment from him though, the fish was not fresh enough. For someone who grew up in a fishing village, where fishes and other seafood stuffs go to the pot and pan right from the sea, everything in PJ/KL is always not up to his standard.

That's why many times, I don't have much qualm about balik kampung to his side;).

8 Comments:

Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Wuah...yours lagi best. Next time I pun nak cuba. Fennel tu jintan manis kan?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

So did you use Ikan Merah? I think Jenahak would also taste nice, and what about Kurau and Tenggiri?

Sedapnye, tengok gambar dah terliur :-)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emmm...yum..yum..The only time I called my mom in law was when I need to ask her for recipes heh..heh...

1:51 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Lil...try la, see if you like it. Jintan got two types right? Jintan putih and jintan manis...this one looks putih compared to jintan manis, not so sure la which one...I'm useless but the one that I use is the putih one...sori!

QOTH...yes I did, so far, MIL only use ikan merah..Jenahak and kurau probabyly good but tenggiri, dunno la as the flesh is thick...this acar is good if we let the sauce 'penetrates' into the fish

butterflutter...ok what, at least that would make her happy, thinking that we cook the same dish for her sons...hehe.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i can't tell my jenahak from my kurau but that dish looks yummy! and i'm taking notes. err, when to add in fennel, eh? I think here in penang we call it 'masak asam'.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Quite a pity that the fish is not so fresh... but then as you said, the fish in PJ/KL is really usually not fresh... lucky for me here, we can get very fresh ones... still, the dish looks yummy...

1:17 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Anne...fennel is added while during saute. Then add in vinegar and water, simmer a bit then cucumber, and fish.

lrong...saw a documentary about a fish market in Japan...very impressive la. Dunno la if you get your fish from one of those markets...anyway, you are lucky. We are still hunting for the best place to get our daily fresh food stuffs.

11:25 AM  
Blogger LindaMunshi said...

Hahaha...samalah kita. My DH also fishing village boy...everytime I serve seafood he'll exclaim that it's never fresh enough...so annoying. Pi lah tangkap sendiri kalo nak fresh-fresh sgt. We're in KL not Teluk Kumbar!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home