Monday, September 18, 2006

Orange untuk apa?

Am having a blogger's block. Think this one can be a filler post;).

I had 2 hour lectures back to back on Tuesday last week. I need to spend about 1/2 hour before that to /prepare/finalise my lecture notes.


To finalise here means to get in everything into powerpoint. Now, the trend is everything must be in powerpoint. Though I love looking at some professors (read old timers;)), enter the lecture rooms with nothing in their hands, only things in their heads.
During my time, we wrote our notes, and listened, and tried to understand at the same time. Now, students sit and listen (sometimes with the arms cross at the chest). And after the lectures, they would hand the lecturers their thumb-drives to copy the notes. I still feel annoyed with these "gesture".

Anyway, we get complains from time to time about the quality of the fresh grads nowadays. Read what
da buaya got to say. I laughed hard, and I have not laugh like that while reading a blog for a loooong time;).

Anyway, back to my story;). I found myself cursing at the traffic. It is only 3 km from the babysitter's to the office but a faulty traffic light may take up 1/2 hour for the trip....grrrr.

Then, suddenly it just occured to me. I might not have a powerpoint, but I could always talk. Everything basically in my head, and I was a bit relieved. Besides, I would have more eye-to-eye contact with the students, though I know most of the students don't really like it;).

I've been teaching my girls about the traffic lights, "Red, stop....green, go!" We always have fun with that.

And on that morning, while we moved like a snail to first Bea1's preschool (then my office):

Bea1: Orange (yellow) untuk apa?
Me: Ya, sayang?
Bea1: Red, stop, green, go...orange tu buat apa?

I laughed, think it was cute but at the same time felt sorry for myself as I never taught her anything about orange. She gave me a quizzical look, she must had thought that she had asked a silly question.

I explained that orange comes before red, and we should slow down to prepare to stop.
She gave "Ok-that-makes-sense" look, or maybe I was just imagining...hehe!

Anyway, that little conversation in the car brought a broad smile on my face, and no more worries about the lecturers.

Well, tomorrow is Tuesday and I'm all ready to face the students;).

5 Comments:

Blogger Cherry said...

Mengikut pandangan my Aman 8thn ... Orange tu kalau Ayah untuk tekan minyak sebab nak pecut sebelum lampu merah, kalau Mak nak tekan brek sebab nak berhenti. eeeehhh sebab tu lah kalau Mak bawak kereta lambat sampai.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Buaya69 said...

i got more cerita wan, but maybe save for another day. too sakit hati liao, hehehe

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post for a blogger's blog, Dr. Ros.. LOL.. keep the great entries coming in..

10:57 AM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

blogger's block ah? No lah, you are still doing ok...

1:59 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Ninuk...hehe actually risau juga as I also love to pecut, contrary to what I taught her. Hope what I write here will be a reminder, too;)

Buaya, love to hear more la...I share your stories with the students, y' know...hehe.

yeknee...thanks;)

lrong...you really think so? I sensed lack of passion while writing that, thanks anyway!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home