Monday, November 27, 2006

The babysitter and old wives tale



I'm sure you know what this is, it is a baby's thigh. This one belongs to Bea3, and upon meeting the baby the first time, the babysitter announced that, finally the next baby will be a boy.

See the line, one line means next baby is a boy, two lines a girl. I may get it the other way around, but I don't trust it so I don't really take note. I have not come across more than two lines yet.

The thing is, she has been observing this from Bea1. And so far, her "prediction" is just right. Of course she said she does not believe it, "Kata orang tua-tua", that's what she said. But whenever she 'got' it right, I can tell there is a kind of satisfaction on her face.

That is only of the old wives tales that she has been sharing with me.

The other one is, the lump or nodule (I don't have any idea what it is called) in the umbilical cord. Malays follow certain ritual on the placenta and umbilical cord, we normally bury them. She is the one who did the cleaning, for both Bea2 and Bea3 before hubby buried them. From the last one, she again announced that looking at the lumps, I will have many kids. I was like "Uh...how many?", she said she was not sure but quite a number.

Last week, before I did the test, I told her that I had the feeling that I might be at it again. She said, she had been observing Bea3 attempting to do a summersault. She said "Nak intai adik ya....". I was like "Ohhh...please!!!".

When I related the result a few hours after that, she gave me "See, i told you" look.

Both Bea1 and Bea2 has not been feeling well since Saturday. They'd been vomiting for something that I'm not sure yet. Bea2 is ok now, and Bea1 is getting better.
This morning, when I mentioned about this to her, she asked if I got any signs of morning sickness yet. When I said no, she said sometimes the sympton can be passed to other kids and the husband too.

Well I heard about husbands getting it, but not the kids. I don't trust it unless some scientific proves have been found.

At home the night after finding out about the new pregnancy, as always I tried to get a little more excitement from hubby. He was like emotionless, thinking he might be in denial, I showed him the pregnancy stick. He assured me he was ok with it and accepting but I was not satisfied.

Of course I'm not keen having my kids gets the 'sickness', but now, despite getting the above treatment, it can be interesting having hubby running to the toilet at the smell of food, haha imagine that, that would be great...hopefully it helps in getting a few kilos off him. But wait, I'm not keen having a husband with mood swings. That reminds me of Arni Schwar....(can never get the spelling right!) in that movie, but I can't recall the title.

Anyway, I digress.

You may think the babysitter is old-fashioned. She is not really. We have a very good relationship, she complies a lot to my style. But I do compromise a bit here and there.

When I get worried if any of the kids get sick, she would come out with some other signs. At the beginning of a new month for a baby, she said there is always a change/new development, and that can be shown by a little increase in body temperature, some tantrums etc. Sometimes it is comforting, but of course we don't push anything to that, a sick baby must go to the doctor.

That's all I can think off now, I have many, will share them here if I remember and have the time.

Thanks for reading;)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! My mummy and daddy have heard lots of these old wives' tales, including the line on thighs and the lump on placenta tales. They aren't convince and they say it remains just that - a tale. Interesting conclusions these old wives come up with eh? :D

12:07 AM  
Blogger Cherry said...

some of the old wives tales ni kalau ikutkan adalah ilmu turun temurun yagn mungkin tanpa kita sedari ada yang membuat research ... ye lah cuma tak da GRANT macam grant RMK9 you tu. so, dengarkan sajalah :)

1:03 AM  
Blogger Dilip Mutum said...

Better save up a lot if you are planning to have a lot of kids. I read somewhere that it will take around RM 1 million to raise one kid.

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not saving the umb cord at the uc bank huh? enjoy your pregnancy! And congratS!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He..he...I heard jugak about that thigh thingy. And about the lump tu cerita kelakar my hubby tukang cuci the cord masa my first dulu. Siap call Ma kat kb nu..tanya what and how to kira and when my mil explain dia kata..weh..byk sgt ni takkan betul kot.Until now still no green light for no 4.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The vomitting may also be a viral infection that is going around town. Amira had a really bad case of diarrhoea and vomitting and nearly got admitted on the 27th. the I got it and passed it on to my poor aged aunty and mom. Take care

2:07 PM  
Blogger KittyCat said...

Congratulations! Nice to hear about your pregnancy. I love your blog and also reading about your beautiful girls' adventure.

My mum is Chinese and she also mentioned that I will have a daughter next coz of the lines on my baby son's thighs??? All the best to you and take care =)

9:29 AM  
Blogger LindaMunshi said...

Sarah had 2 lines and I was told that the next baby would also be a girl. WRONG! I had a boy. Then there's the nipple thing...they got it wrong too. LOL. But after 3 girls, ur chances are quite good that the next one will be a boy. Apa-apalah...yg penting dia sihat & selamat. :)

1:57 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Ajab booboo...yes they are interesting, indeed. If I got the time, I'd love to do research on this. And hey, went to your blog twice already...very entertaining blog you got there!

Alaaa Ninuk...itu I tau la, tak mau elaborate aje. Cumanya, if people do research kan, what field should it be? Anthropology ke? I will ask a friend about it. Hubby said I ni sombong, seme mau scientific evidence...maybe old wives tales turun from hadith etc. Padan muka I:(.

Adam..thanks for reminding. I agree but big part of me also believe that each baby/human being has his/her own rezeki.

Mrs B...yes we had that thought but only if we can see the use right away. I don't really trust it as research is still being done. And my BIL (is having cancer) docs said, a very slight chance cord from me will help him...so that's why we agreed not to bank them.

butterflutter...ur story is hilarious, ur hubby must be really surprised.

lyza...thanks, I was worried that we may end up in A&E again that night. Pray that Amira is ok now.

Kittycat...wah, Chinese also got kah? And tahnks for reading my rambling here.

Sarah's mummy...hey, what makes you say after 3 girls my chance for a boy is higher, my sister got a boy after 5 girls y'know!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got your blog url from a bristolian friend of mine. She said that I can relate to you since we have more or less the same 'bundle of joys'. I have 3 boys though. The eldest going to be 5yo next week and the youngest is going to be 5 months. However i just found out that I'm pregnent . . . again and my baby doesn't have any line near his thigh ..., so, any guess?

3:21 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Anon...wow, 3 going 4 soon...that sound like errr...me? Hehe, anyway, congrats on the new pregnancy. And yes, I owe ur friend an email, and it's very nice of her sharing my humble blog with you.
Soon, I hope we can talk how you get all boys and how I get all girls, ok. About no lines, I have also no idea, will try to ask the babysitter;).

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home