Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Quake in Padang

I was at a workshop in UKM the whole day, talked to a few people about my research and how I was looking forward to a fieldtrip (with the whole clan in tow, of course) to Padang and Bukittinggi, hopefully in the middle of the year.

Driving back, I heard over the radio how a quake sent shivers to a lot of people in high-rise buildings here and a huge casualty it has caused so far as it was on the land. The report only said the location was in West Sumatera.

In the office, I immediately checked the Star online, nothing. Are they this slow always. Went o USGS (I should get registered with them to get the instant message on quake etc soon). It was only 30 km deep. The location is only 50km NNE of Padang, and that is near Bukittinggi*gulp*.

Now, scared of aftershocks pulak!

Anyway, the prediction of the scientists so far is just true. After being 'silence' for some time, it struck again, first with a huge one on the Boxing Day of 2004, what follows would be aftershocks or individual new ones.

2 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I am sad to here about the quakes. Hope everything will turn out okay.
Take care.

11:02 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

We were not really affected here, except for some tremors felt in high rise. But it was reported more than 50 deaths in Padang already.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home