Monday, February 05, 2007

Sunday is a baking day!

Before kids, no one really bother if I bake. Well, my mom and sisters do ask me to bake cookies and cakes for Raya, and that's all.

But now, Bea1 can sense if she does not get that fresh nice smell from the oven for a while. She was adamant that it'd been a looooooooong time since the last time we baked. It was the last Eid Fitr. That was only about 3 months ago.

I was reluctant, but she made puppy-eyed plea. Very well then, I might as well try something new. But it must be cookies and a simple one!

I was bloghopping and I found a cookie recipe with cornmeal here. I never did that before, a cornmeal cookies. Must have a different taste. Was a bit excited.

Didn't ask as I thought cornmeal could be found easily. Sneaked out of the house after fixing lunch to the nearest supermarket. Looked at the flour section, and the staff said he didn't know what that was. Went to cereal section, also nothing there.

A bit dissapointed, I gave Bea1 a choice: Ikea or stay home to bake (to give me more time to look for cornmeal). Baking won!

Asked hubby if he knew about it, he suggested cornflour. I said, I didn't think it was flour. I explained we have oatmeal, so cornmeal must be something like oatmeal but from corn. Mr Knows-it-all sighed "Then, it must be cornflake"...isk!

Reluctantly, I just crushed some cornflakes. 2 hours, a lot of mom-kids-in-the-kitchen-moments later, it was done and kids love it. Bea3 finished 4 pieces soon after they cooled from the oven.

I love it too, but still I thought I'd rather have my ass on the sofa and spent a few bucks on some cookies. But I brushed that thought off after seeing my happy Bea1, gulping milk after one cookie and another. She giggled and called herself a cookie monster!

Next, off course cookies with real cornmeal.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 7yo son yg selalu minta bake something.I usually make cupcakes kalau rajin siap decorate with buttercream. I memang simpan yg mixture yg dalam kotak tu. Yg tension kalau guna 1 bj telur lepas tu berebut 2 org nak pecahkan telur.Ni ingat nak bake cupcakes for sarah birthday. 35 pcs for her kindymates.

10:56 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

I dah tengok dah gambar cupcakes tu dalam your blog. Yes, I'm thinking to bake that too. The best part is of course decoration, right...I mean for the kids. The thing is malas pun ada, esp. part to tidy up.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, really itching to bake some cookies. so much work, lazy. but i should be ashamed of myself. If you have done it, I really have no excuses.

2:29 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

mrs b...whar I can't tahan is when all 3 want to do the mixing and sing "Mix and mix, mix and mix" ala Colin in Bite Size (at Playhouse, but now no more). Imagine all 3 surrounding over a bowl with one mixer...arhhh. Anyway, now I always remember your words just let them be...so now can I expect some homemade cookie pic in belacan blog?

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

You can get cornmeal from Phoon Huat or from Cold Storage(an orange box, can be found in baking section).

It is definately NOT cornflour. :)


Hope it helps! And yes... your cornflakes version looks yummy too!

12:28 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

I was at the Cold Storage, maybe I was just too hurried that I didn't find it . Thanks, will look harder.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home