Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Still too early for sex education

Think Bea1 is getting more curious on what's on earth a baby is doing in mama's tummy, and how she/he gets there. At the moment, she can get really facsinated especially when she sees images of baby in-utero, just like me longggg time ago.

When I was pregnant with Bea2, getting her prepared for the new sibling was not that challenging. I kept telling me there was a baby inside, brought her along to ultrasound scanning. At her age, think sometimes she looked curious but really no questions were asked.

But this time around, still no questions asked but from her face I knew she wants to know more.

I was looking for ways to explain things to her. Last few weeks, there was this documentary on National Geographic, In the Womb. I thought I must let her watched it.
It showed the process/progress of the creation of baby human from conception to birth, with nice computer graphic and real ultrasound scans!

She was not really interested at the earlier part, but when the baby started to get into shape, she became more attentive. 1 explained to her that the baby was growing inside her momma's tummy as her little bro/sis in mine. At parts when it showed the baby in utero, she asked me "Mama, where's the mama?", and when it showed the mother with the big tummy, she asked "Mama, where's the baby?". I tried my very best to explain and kept talking to her throughout the show. Thought, at the end of it when the baby was born and in her mother's arms, she would comprehend more.

Did not know that it was a 2-hour show. It was past bedtime, papa22beas and Bea2 were already in bed but Bea1 was wide awake. I dozed off a few minutes near the end of the show but her attention was all on the box. Finally the baby was born, think with the mother's position on all 4, that sight was not that 'scary' for a 3-year old. I could see a relief on her face when she saw the baby and mother finally 'together'.

It happened that I was scheduled for another ultrasound scan two days after that. I brought her along. She looked so cute when the staff seated her in a chair besides the bed, you know with that excitement/curious look on her face. All of us explained to her what she saw on the screen and finally, she was shown the face of the baby!

To give her a clearer picture, I also showed her this:


diagram9

I knew Discovery showed Anatomival Travelogues: Conception to Birth but never got a chance to view the whole of it only the end. But to me the sights of the birth may not be suitable for my girl, yet! But I called her to show the events after the birth and explained to her a bit about birth etc.

After all those 'lessons', thinks she gets more ideas. She even talks to the baby in my tummy and she also understands better when I asked her to feel the baby kicking etc.

Anyway, in the begiining of In the Womb, she got really curious and during some parts:

Bea1: Mama, what's that?
Mama: Err....sperm.
Bea1: *repeat after me* Sperm! ...and what's that?
Mama: *jeling to papa, but knew I would not get anything from him* Err...ovum.
Bea1: Ovum *nod, nod*

Well...still too early for sex education! I remember when I was a little girl, being 'budak kampung' and all, we was never taught about it. Only learnt it much later in school. My imagination was, all girls was born with tiny babies in their tummy already. The babies would grow when the girls got married, and came out one by one!. When I got to know that my parents did that 'thing' to 'produce' my cute little sister/bothers (before the lessons in school), I was like "Ewww..."...It was simply unimaginable!

Hopefully my girls won't have that kind of feeling!

7 Comments:

Blogger shoppingmum said...

Actually, it's never too early to introduce sex education. But most parents only touch on how babies come from. I think before my kids reach teenage year, I better let them have "the whole idea", I'd prefer to tell them myself than let them learn from their friends or internet.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Wooh, I imagine it must quite 'tricky' to educate little kids on this...

9:14 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

shoppingmum...I may underestimate my child;). Ya I tried to explain how the sperm meet the ovum and finally form a baby, the thing is about the initial 'process'. Off course, I'd just love to teach them about "the whole idea" myself!

lrong...yes lrong, think I must be tactful also leh!

12:00 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Hahaha, tricky situaion every parents have to face. My sons know that sperm meets egg and a baby is made. They know about DNA and genetics stuffs. But when they asked me, How in the first place papa's sperm can get into you? I totally don't know how to explain. Point to the father, he buat tak dengar. *haih* And I became too blushed to say anything. So we left it as that.

11:39 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

5xmom..ye la, think that "how sperm gets into mom" will be the trickiest part. I will wait till she is bigger for that one!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Ghostbird said...

You know, I was never interested in where babies come from when I was a kid. Even when later I knew how they come about and where they come out from, it didn't make an impression to me. Ahh... apathy's my 5th name :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Sexymam...now that's kind of weird to me, but on second thought, in a way better what...it is only about nature!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home