Tuesday, January 05, 2010

What's (not) cooking!

I hope everyone had a great time with the family during Christmas (for those who celebrate) and the long holiday. I was so occupied with getting the kids occupied during the school holiday;).

Atef's new middle name is clingy;) and I'm not much into cooking lately. But I watched Jamie Oliver doing some pumpkin soup and I made it tonight.


Everything was done in a hurry including when picking up the squash in the market. I ended up with a not-so-ripe one. No nice photo either but I managed to throw a sage leave for garnishing. I don't have the gadget that people use to mash up food, so I just used my hand-mixer. It worked well to just mash the squash and it left some chunky bits. But Bea1 didn't really enjoy it as she could still see bits of union. She is ok when she does not see it;). Hubby said I need to cut down the rosemary. I remember I used the same amount of garlic, union, rosemary for 3 kg squash (like the great chef does) on only 1/2. No wonder the taste a bit strong, and I had forgotten the carrots too. But I sense if everything is right, the soup is just wonderful.

And you know what, to me a good thing about cooking is if we fail the first time, we will want to try again fast. That's what I'm going to do. I also added some bbq-ed chicken in case kids could not take the soup. Anyway, the crouton is nice...love it!

I'd like to share some of things that I did in the kitchen in the last few weeks when I managed to get a breather from Atef.


Lots of cut-out cookies and I love this the most. Bea2 complained that she didn't like to wait for the cookies to cook and cool before decorating. I found a recipe of some colored dough that can be used before baking.

The girls decorating with some gels.

Hubby stopped at Cameron Highland during a trip and came back with a huge bag of zuchini that I didn't know what to do with it. I just replaced the carrot from a carrot cake recipe and I can't really tell the difference, except for the green instead of orange bits.


Some not-so-neat chocolate tiny balls with ganache.

I looked for my bowl high and low and found Bea3 licking off the chocolate from it, in front of the TV.

Some friends and family came visiting from Kedah during the Christmas holiday. I was about to pipe the icing on my simple butter cuppies when I got a call that said they were already at the lift. I eventually just spread it with a spoon. I just love the buttercream icing with lemon juice and zest. Must do it again!

And this is the latest pic of the baby that keeps me away from the kitchen, but I love him to bits anyway. He has some rash that is healing beautifully now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comelnya Atef. I'm amazed how you manage to do all that without a maid. you're a supermom indeed. i'm a working mother with 4 kids and a live-in maid, yet sempat masak simple2 aje for my family when i get back from work. Most time are spent melayan budak2 4 org tu(mcm2 request since i don't think the maid layan dorang while we are at work...sigh!!!).

3:37 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

I always say I'm not a supermom, it's just that I may have a higher tolerance for mess;). Yes, when ALL of them want attetion at the same time...pening!

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home