Monday, June 27, 2005

Obsession with dragonfruits

Think I'd seen dragonfruit a long time ago, somewhere but I first tested it about a few months ago. I used to work in a lab, and one day we received boxes of dragonfruits. Words had it that some people from the orchard were interested to do some analytical studies using our equipments but nothing really happened till I left the job. It was nothing really special about it, tested like kiwis (ok la, I can say a bit better) and never really thought about buying it.

Then, about 2 months ago, the babysitter gave me a piece. The first time I saw it, the flesh was red, but this time it was white. She said the kids were crazy about it. It was not really a surprise as Bea1 loves fruit of any kind, so does Bea2 except that she is a bit choosy as she does not have that many teeth yet, kind of slow in that department. But the soft flesh is just nice to her.

So, I thought of buying some and that was when it begun. My kids was just crazy about them. It is now a routine, the first thing when we reach home everyday, one or both of them stands near the fridge. Bea1 normally says "Mama, nak dragonfruit (and yeah, she pronouce it right!)", Bea2 "Ma, unfut!". Bea1 knows where they are located in the supermarket and makes sure that we have enough stock!

They can finish one each in just minutes. The first time I bought it, it cost RM2.00 each, then later RM3.00 depending on the store. So if RM3 x 30 days = RM90...*gulp* that really is equivalent to their monthly diaper money! And I'm talking about one fruit per day. And they must have it everyday now, as a snack before dinner.

Luckily, the price goes down to about RM1.50 each now. Saw they put a signage "Taiwan Dragonfruit", so I though it was all imported, that's why the high price. Thought, the ones planted here are still being studied and not in the market yet. But last night, hubby said they have it in Johor and it is also Pitaya or Thang Loy.

Did some reading from the net, it is actually from a cacti family, and said to be loaded with some sort of antioxidants and minerals. Thought, ok lah...since it is good fruit, nevermind about the kids' obsession about it.


180px-Pitaya

But one thing drives me crazy sometimes is the seed. The fruit comes with tiny black seeds that are just so sticky!

180px-Pitaya3

We have those black seeds everywhere, on the sofa, on the floor, on remote control, on toys, on towels! Before dragonfruit-days, cleaning up before bed only involved cleaning the kids' bottoms and teeth, but now we have to insert our fingers in the skin fold under Bea2's chin. And they are stuck to their towels, which brings them on the bed (luckily, the seeds never invited ants into our bedroom), on our prayer mat. They also escape in the kids' hairs. I found one on my cheek in the office's toilet, must be from one of the girls's hair, got stuck there when I kissed them that morning! Even Bea1 got irritated when she can't remove them from her hands.

Anyway, the kids really love it, and after having it a few more times, I love it,too (luckily, papa22beas is not really keen, so less fighting;)). Will have to deal with the seeds, or just learn to ignore them!

Added: Found this while googling for dragonfruit. As expected, 5xmom beats me to it;).

8 Comments:

Blogger sqkiki said...

SQ love dragon fruit too..haha..she always eat until whole mouth red red wan..

I prefer the red pulp wan lah..more sweet then the white pulp wor..donno y....

3:56 PM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

I still get mine at RM3 from Jusco. Where you buy at RM1.50 huh? But seriously, the price is crazy as at the moment demand is greater than supply. During CNY it even went up to RM5 per fruit!

12:24 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

twinsmom...never seen a dragonflower, wonder if it has any resemblence with dragonfruit.

msau...what I found in the market now is the white flesh one, love to have the red one...dah lupa how it tastes.

mumsgather...we got it RM1.50 in carrefour, but I think this one smaller and low quality a bit la. In Cold Storage, the prize also about RM3.00, and recently saw it at RM2.20. Must avoid bringing the kids to the market around CNY...hehe;)

11:01 AM  
Blogger amira shasmeen said...

I am still not brave enuff to eat it .... ;p

1:07 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Looks like the friut has low calories?

2:44 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

pompit..why? because of its name;)?...it is harmless and tastes ok!

lrong...emm, about calories? NO idea la...they said it is loaded with antioxidants, tu kira ok la tu...right?

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you can eat the seeds, I think I did. Hmmmm, maybe I should introduce the fruit to the girls.

1:27 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

mrs b...yes, can eat but they are so sticky one, they are stuck everywhere...I mean if my girls eat it, they bring the seeds everywhere! And they are also not digested, so you can imagine poos decorated with the tiny black seeds. Let the girls try...they may like it like my two girls!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home