Friday, June 10, 2005

On being me (part 1)

I got the inspiration to blog this while going through my external examiner's report of my thesis. I received it more than a year ago after completing the thesis and have been flipping the pages many times, but this guy, a Canadian earth scientist was really generous in giving me suggestions/advises/comments which will be helpful in many years to come, I mean if I choose to continue with my research. Each time I read it, I find something new, something to think about and explore.

And while alone in this room, I realise that given time and money (I'm praying to get good grants), there is still a wide world out there waiting for me. I used to think that way when I was young, single and free, but kind of not really think about it after being contented with the marriage and kids. Now that I'm back in the office again, and I'm given the oppurtunity to move again, I just can't wait to get back to what I had left behind for more than a year ago.

I'm in a male-dominated field. Currently there are only 4 female academic staffs in this department from about 25. Sometimes I wonder, with my role as wife and mother, how do I compete with them? But wait, I'm not competing with anybody, I'm doing this merely because I love it while earning some money.

But I'd love to compare myself with my male counterparts. A geologist needs to travel a lot for fieldtrips, and the job in the field can be tough sometimes. So, here's some comparisons:

1. While they can just leave the job of taking care of their kids to the wives, I normally plan to bring along the kids or if it is not possible, try to make it a day trip. Not that I don't trust papa22beas, but my kids need me all the time!

2. When they are sick, they have their wives to "nurse them back to good health" (I really like the way lrong mentioned it), and up on the feet again, they will. What about me....well as far as I'm concerned, I can't afford to get sick! And I'm grateful for the good health that I have, and that includes all 3 easy pregnancies which allow me to go the field up to during the last trimester.

3. While they can just pack their stuffs and off they go in the department's 4-WD vehicle to the fields, I normally took a deep breath looking at the heavy corer, the huge hammer a lot of other stuffs, and also rock samples that have to be brought back. Then, a discussion had to be made with my very effecient field assistant cum engineer cum photographer cum 'kuli angkat batu' cum everything (by the way, that's my husband;)), as when he can take leaves from his office etc. Anyway, off course I'm grateful to have him.

4. And how about that kind of oh-a-lady-geologist? look that we occasionally get.

That's part of it, but I'm not complaining and just very happy with the roles that I play!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Geologist izzzeeettt... terror lah, you... 4 ladies out of 25 is not too bad what... where I am, it is worse... on the external examination thingy, I had no such experience because Japanese universities do not practice this... they should introduce external exams, I believe...

4:11 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Tabik hormat is all I can say.

3:47 PM  
Blogger ibuVouge said...

This is my fav blog... never miss to read while i'm online
after reading the blog..like I found my old friend while I was a student...my beloved friend... Since work ..never come accross people who love movie 'the shawshank redemption', rotu, mountain climbing...make me miss my student live..
tabik puan..eheheh

4:29 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

*jump with excitement to see lrong here*...thanks lrong for stopping by. About the external exam thingy, think it has helped me a lot! My field is a very new study in M'sia (after only completing my PhD, people calling me a focal point already!*blushed*), not even my supervisor/professor is an expert, so I had a hard time. Having a real expert from overseas reading/commenting my work really helps. Dunno about the Japanese though, maybe they don't need it?

5xmom and twinsmom...everytime I received such compliments, I felt embarrased pulak, and thought about what I'd written. Was I being too proud or what? But no, I just write whatever I feel like writing... it is just me, I think. Thanks anyway, such inspirations!

ibuVogue...*blushed* never expected someone would take it as a fav. blog, what with my English and lack of humour! About 'shawshank redemption'...yeah, it is just a really cool story (and Tim Robbins loves geology, too)...escape with only a geological hammer! Thanks again...you make somewhat a rather busy day, a day to me!

4:48 PM  
Blogger shoppingmum said...

I really admire women who can manage family and pursuing higher education level and the same time! Well done mdm geologist!

9:59 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Hi shoppingmum...thanks! *embarrased lagi*

twinsmom...thanks again, and we need mommy like u too to get motivated.

Welcome mrkiasi...everytime I got new reader, thought I must had been quoted somewhere in some famous blogs. Thx for dropping by, though I don't know what *kowtow* means...a good thing, I hope;)

12:53 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Aiyah mrkiasu...no need that la *emabarassed again and again*

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home