Monday, July 25, 2005

Enough of nursery rhymes

It started after I purchased a nursery rhymes cassete from Mothercare when Bea1 was 4 months old. The purpose was to keep her entertained during car trips. It was a must, then and that thing really helped. We spent about 11/2 on the road every day, then. And we played it about 1 hour everyday and that does not include long balik kampung trips. After a few months, think I suffered from some kind of a mental problem of having too much nursery rhymes. An example:

"While tossing and turning in bed to get back to sleep in the wee hours of the night, all I could hear was "1,2,3,4,5...once I caught a fish alive" or "one girrafe in high heel shoes, two elephants in ballet too-too....". The harder I tried to keep them away, the stronger they became...a lot of time intermittent with Bea1's favourite story lines "Daley B didn't know what he was...am I a monkey?, he said? Am I a koala?, he said...." And it came exactly with the sound effect (I mean Papa22beas' voice tone)"

Tried to get less of them, and just when I thought Bea1 was ok with it, Bea2 was here! Shortly before she was born, papa22beas moved to a new office and travelling time increased to about 3 hours daily! After that, I had to endure more of them till one day, I declared that I had had enough of it! Papa22beas suggested buying a new cassete (with new songs), I said "no way"!

Then, I tried playing Mix fm and tried to get both girls entertained by whatever they were playing. Then Shakira came to the rescue with "Wherever, whenever"...Bea2 really loved it. She squeeled when I tried to do the 'gelek' in whatever space that I have in the car (by the way, nothing much I could do as I was driving;)). Bea1 just loves Kylie Minogue's "I believe in you" and both would go "Ahhhh...ahhhh" whenever it is on, then they would go "na, na, na...." for Gwen Staphanie's "Rich girl". Now, all of us hum to Keane's "somewhere only we know". U2 songs never fail to keep them occupied, think because soon after their birth I sang "Beautiful Day" softly in their ears, while showing them their first sunshines (well those were really beautiful days to me, and Bono and the gang just knew how to put it in words and rythm).

I try to be careful with lyrics of some songs, though. Well, I listened to Sepultura, Sodom and the likes when I was younger and I turned out to be ok;). Anyway, I prefer them not to listen to such things but I will deal with it when the time comes.

Now having too much of kid's songs is no longer an issue, I only listen to them from the Playhouse Disney Channel, and I like most of them. If I don't, for example the ones from the Wiggles, I just leave the room. And now that Bea1 is in preschool, I listen more to her own "rendition" of "Incy Wincy Spider". Well, seeing her hands move imitating a spider and her cute voice is a lot better than listening to the cassete! I'm back to my usual self;).

9 Comments:

Blogger Mumsgather said...

Listening to their own rendition is the most wonderful part. Dunno why toddler's self composed songs or stories always includes the words "...and mummy hug hug..." Hehehe. Very funny. Must be becos she loves mummy to hug hug very much!

1:24 PM  
Blogger shoppingmum said...

tell me about it...I even hav to listen at work...*sob, sob* I can understand what u mean by having nursery rhymes in our ears...

10:10 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

twinsmom...emm, think my collection is somewhere in the junks in the storeroom, and it is old already. Now that priority has changed...*sigh*

mumsgather...wow, you are lucky to have a very expressive toddler!

shoppingmum...ohhh sorry to hear that *hugs*. That reminds me of the teachers in Bea1's school.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Shamira said...

Happens to me all the time. I end up singing "the ants go marching one by one...." while in the shower until I realise it and stop myself. :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Shamira...motherhood changes us in so many ways, right? Dunno why, I suddenly feel overwhelmed while typing that...mixed feelings, happiness, a lil sadness...ah, must be the hormones!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wiggles is one that i cant stand either. :D My 22mnth old loves it though....i prefer Jojo's circus. :D
i know the songs on playhouse disney channel by now....should i be happy? at least its not the scary teletubbies!!

9:35 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Hi fuzzy...it is such a surprise to see you here! Thanks for reading! Have you watched Shana's Show..it is now my favourite...hehe

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i do read your blog. :) why is it a surprise ?
anyway, shanna show is cool. short snippets and i enjoy the beat too - banana and shanna, shane and rain... :)
i find that elyas likes danny and daddy - maybe cos their language is similar to his!

5:53 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Hi again fuzzy...a surprise as I'm still a bit shy to really 'promote' my site, so surprised if I got new readers, but at the same time, love to share with others..hehe mixed feelings!
I never knew I'd enjoy Shana Show so much, too. Love looking at both girls imitate shana at the end of the show by open their arms wide, kepala dongak...and sing "...on the next Shana's Show" with their pouting lips....cute!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home