Wednesday, July 13, 2005

New students are here!

Last week and weeks earlier

It was just nice to drive in the campus as it was just quiet during the long break. Parking lots are abundance, no qeue in the cafetaria, it was an upportunity for the academic staffs to concentrate on their research or administration works.

The beginning of a new academic session is marked by the orientation week or here we call it "Minggu Haluansiswa". I wondered why "haluan", I just thought maybe it was the week that they would decide which direction that they would take in pursuing their studies and later on, career.

Things did not changed much, except sights of huge groups of the new students walking around the campus were common. They were led by a few seniors who organised their activities during the week.

I love looking at the new, fresh faces. I saw determination, ambition, strong will in some and anxiety, boredom (that week is just tiring for a lot of them) in others.

This week and weeks ahead

It started on Monday morning at the front gate, the unusual long qeue was already there. It could be because the increase number of students but looking at some Kancils and Kelisas with newly registered numbers, with P stickers, I guess it is more likely that it is the increase of students whose parents can afford to get them cars! Despite the university's efford to allocate more parking lots, some of them are still having problem to understand what "parking untuk kakitangan" means!

Things have not settled down yet as most are still busy registering for their course, with a lot are still deciding which are the best for them. But soon I'm expecting to see more of them will hang out at the cafes, couples riding on bikes (ala belacan;)) ...some with not just normal rides to get from the hostel to the library for example, but more like the boyfriends showing off their "skills" to the girlfriends, I may overheard a conversation about whose handphone is the coolest (*make mental note that I should never let them see mine*).

Pardon me if I sound like I'm complaining, but I really like students and I just liked being one. That's why I spent (*calculate, calculate*...tab, tab on calculator), about 24 years (*gulp*) studying from primary to PhD (I did not even attended kindergarten...my kampung did not have one, then!). I might be a bit slow somewhere during the years, as I was never really a bright student;). And I also chose a job so that I can be around students!

Yesterday, I conducted my very first class as a lecturer (used to teach as tutor years ago). Funny as some of them called me a professor! It was a 3-hour practical class, and during my time and subsequent years, half of the class normally left after about 11/2 hours. The lab was normally empty during the last hour. But yesterday, students were still hanging around till 5.30 pm (class finish at 5, but now with 5-day working week, the lab is closed at 5.30 pm). One of the tutors was surprised and asked me what I had said to them. I just told him that I scared them a bit, and whatever I said was based on my experience sitting in the same lab some 13 years ago, sitting for the exam and finally what I turned out to be. Well, that was only the first class...who knows what's next!

It is going to be exciting weeks ahead of me....though I may complain and sigh here and there!

4 Comments:

Blogger Buaya69 said...

wooo, perfesser mama... ;)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Cherry said...

Professor Vogue tak pe ! Opps Professor Batu Yg Vogue ! One of my uncle in Indonesia is also a geologist. His life is partly deep in Kalimantan eventhough his family base is in Bandung, Jawa Barat. I am OK I stick with opis job in the IT line :)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

Wow. Sounds exciting man (Oh I mean Prof.) Hehehe.

5:07 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

See...now, got you guys calling me prof pulak!

Ninuk...a geologist must travels a lot, normally people choose geology because of it...me, I can get bored if being stucked in office for too long, so time to get excuse to go field trips...travel and some more get paid!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home