Thursday, July 21, 2005

Meaningful words said by strangers (part 1)

We had a party or 'makan-makan' to welcome new students to the faculty about 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to be a time when all the staffs (academic or non-academic) to mingle with the students. We expected a huge turn-out of students (free makan mah!), to our surprise, there were more lecturers than students turned up (maybe they were just too exhausted from the orientation week). So we ended up just talking to each other.
A lady introduced herself as a lecturer from the other department. Think she was interested to talk to me as my face was not familiar there as I just started working in the same faculty for about 3 months. Excerp from the conversation:

Lady: Baby nombor berapa (refering to my tummy...finally at 6 month, I looked like a pregnant woman;)).

Mama22beas: No. 3 (*with my sweetest smile*)

Lady: That's good planning, and you are still young. I have to stop at 2 as I started quite late. I had my first one when I was 39, and the second one 42.

Mama22beas: *dunno what to say...smile again, like 'kerang busuk' like that*

Lady: Thought of enjoying myself first, being an academician like us, normally we are at the peak (of the career, but refering to research work) at around late 30s and early 40s. But now with two small kids, very hard for me to travel. Yeah, enjoyed myself when I was younger but now I suffer!

Mam22beas: *shocked, and almost choked on the kuih gula melaka*

Lady: *quickly corrected herself* No, no, no...it is challenging but motherhood means a lot to me, it is a different kind of joy, it is fulfilling.

Mama22beas: agree, agree...*smile*

Off course I encounter a lot of conversation with strangers but think this one will be one of those that I will remember again and again. To me, my job is something that I love to do everyday. I have no specific long-term plan, but what she said did make me feel good a bit;).

5 Comments:

Blogger mama23beas said...

Yes twinsmom...just enjoy what we have, and never regret! Must remember that always.

2:27 PM  
Blogger sqkiki said...

I think really hard to bringup a baby if compare to young lah..hehe..now I wish I should get born early, like tat can chase toddler more and make more fun lor..hehe...

2:48 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

msau...thought at my age, I'd be ok...now with two to run after, sakit kaki juga!

kiasi...not so uncommon these days la, especially among ladies who want to pursue career first!

10:46 AM  
Blogger ibuVouge said...

puan...

i'm also not look as pregnant lady, Even now I still can wear baju kurung.

So happy with this situation because my job need me to travel from northern to KL almost every week..nobody notice that I'm pregnant lady..
Thanks GOD for the gift
non need to spend much money to buy maternity dress..hahahahah

8:52 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

I beg to differ, despite the extra weigh I just love having the pregnant lady image. Enjoy being offered chair at least 5 times a day, and the seat in LRT;)

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home