Thursday, July 28, 2005

Ikea: Will I ever get enough of it?

We go to Ikea on the evenings of some working days

1. because it rains cats and dogs, and we know somehow along the way back some drivers would make some 'jokes' which make thousands of other motorists miserable in the traffic. Of course we would try to avoid that, even though it means a bit detour from our normal route.

2. to have decent and cheap dinner

3. to do our praying, they have one of the best maintaned 'surau' in shopping complex

4. because the kid's section is just like any other public playground, the good things are it is indoor and just simply the best, and it's free!

5. because the baby/child care facility is superb

We go to Ikea during weekends

1. to relax and have afternooon coffee/tea

2. to have decent and cheap dinner

3. the kids need a break

By the way, off course we are there to buy furnitures/kitchen utensils/toys, too.

A conversation on one Sunday afternoon

Papa22beas: Let's go out
Mama22beas: What for...we have bubur kacang for tea, and chicken soup and French loaf for dinner already. Anyway, where?
Papa22beas: I'm thinking...
Mama22beas: Well...it would be nice to have that cappucino and some cakes at Ikea. Bubur kacang can keep in the fridge, eat later!
Papa22beas: Ok, let's go!

And just days before that, we were there to buy cussions/storage boxes to make our brand new car a bit cosy and tidy! In other words we (or I) always look for reasons to go there! One of the favourite 'book' in the house is the catalogue. 2005 punya is already like kain buruk, now looking forward to 2006!

And before I forget...it is also a nice place to have lunch on Fridays with my girlfriends. And I also go there during Friday lunchtime as a time to get away on my own and rewind after a long, hard week at work;).

Oh, think all Ikea customers/followers (whatever) agree that we all love the concept. One example is that they just let us move around freely without any salesperson bugging/following around!

During their sales last year, I went there 4 times in a week. 2 times to survey, 1 time to buy and 1 time to make sure that we got everything we needed, ops I mean to make sure that I had come to my senses that I should not spend more. Hubby said it was the people like me that makes Ikea grows so fast. I just said "ewah, ewah...what about you?"

I went there again last week during an extended lunchtime to look at the sales. All I got was a duck feather cussion for my office and a good time with my Bea1! I gave her ample time at the kid's area. It was strange but I'm glad that I'm ok with not buying anything else. As we are moving into a new apartment in 3 months time, think we should just wait to start all over again.

Papa22beas suggested we went again on last Sunday after our weekly 'pasar malam' shopping at Taman Tun. Another strange thing happenned as I said it was still early and I could cook for dinner!

No, no I don't think it is some sign that I'm getting a little tired of it and still it got me wondering...my obsession with Ikea, is it some kind of sickness or what?

14 Comments:

Blogger 5xmom.com said...

I go to Ikea everytime I go to KL. It is like a must visit tourist spot. Drop 2 kids at the ball jungle and we are free. Love the chocolate Bavarian.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Cherry said...

I go to IKEA to jalan-jalan cuci mata and berangan-angan. Sometimes I "derma" sometimes I go back with no purchase. Saje je je ...

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love to shop @ IKEA. Now eyeing for new catalogue which will be available mid Sep.

10:24 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

5xmom...see, people coming from Penang also must make a stop, so nothing is actually wrong with me right?

Ninuk...it is actually 85% on the 'berangan-angan'. Just to malu to admit la...wish the whole of new apartment will look like showhouse in the store *sigh*

Sofhib...I'm already browsing the online catalogue. The new ideas for kids' bedroom are sooooo nice...more dreaming!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I like to go to Ikea during weekdays.. but then, it's also a working a day *sigh*, so end-up going during weekends. Weekends are so packed that I think I bumped into people more than looking at the items.... tapi pergi jugak!!! Nowadays I'll head to the As It's section first, see if can grab anything cheap...got to be fast and must lay ur hand on that item until u get the staff to put them in your trolley, otherwise...u'll see the item u wanted in other people's trolley!!!

12:46 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Thanks for dropping by here Annie! Yeah, the best time to go to any shopping complex is during office hour. Normally if weekends we only go to the cafe and let the kids play at the kid's section. Weekdays baru boleh jalan in the whole store!
I also got my duck feather cossion from the As Is...Rm9.50 only;)

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B purposely stayed away from Ikea in the current sale as he didnt want to be swayed into impulsive buys, hehe. hmmm... maybe we can just go there for the kids play area. Thanks for your toys management post, we have since turned the ex-maid room next to the kitchen into a play area for the children. can keep su anne confined a little bit longer!

2:37 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

mrs b...that's why I tried not to get papa22beas to be there during this sale. The power to refrain from buying is stronger if I'm alone;). Dunno how long he can tahan...still got 3 weeks to go.
Glad that you like the idea...just make sure it is comfortable for them, and safe too. To me it really works, less tension of seeing toys all over the place!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Nice conversation about the bubur kacang... brings my mind back to that Nasi Goreng Bubur Kacang song by P Ramlee... did you get to eat finally?

3:52 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

lrong...it was actually bubur kacang with durian, not so smelly when compared to if we have it on its own (I mean the durian);). Yup, we ate it as a late supper after the chicken soup dinner, which was after some puddings and fish n' chips at Ikea. Cicah with leftover French loaf...yum! Not a very healthy way to eat, but that's us;).

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haiya, after reading your post, me and MrB's lost our resistance and went over to Ikano on Sunday. Checked out the child care (you are right, facilities are great) and we splurge over RM1k on a day bed and child book cabinet (50% off usual price) and other marked down items. Now Mr B is trying to figure out how to arrange the living room furniture to fit the day bed. Hehe. No more buying major Ikea stuff on non sale days!

2:04 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Ha ha...B mentioned in his blog that your living is like Ikea showroom already, so I knew it, mana boleh tahan wan! Congrats on your new buy...now you make me jealous pulak! Got to tahan...*breath in, breath out*

4:09 PM  
Blogger Buaya69 said...

RM1,000 blown at Ikea! that was a record for us. only slept at 4am this morning coz i was moving the living room around. and had to be an astro installer also coz shifted the TV too! so sleepy now.... *yawn* ;)

5:07 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Wah...Mr B and Mrs B's living room must be so nice la with the new day bed. Now, you guys really make me wanna go again!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home