Thursday, April 20, 2006

Payback time!

I had students falling asleep on me during my lectures and talking to one another like I do not exist. One student came to see me to ask for some advices for his oral presentation, but kept receiving and sending SMSes while talking to me.

A lot of times I feel like throwing them out from my lectures or my room but I am just too soft and nice.

I'd ask them if they got any questions, and always ask them to see me if they want to discuss more about anything.

But only a few do that.

Beginning from two weeks ago, we started to have tests before the final exams.

And during the tests, I saw some of them scratching their heads, restless and whenever they had questions to ask, my reply would always be "You can ask me if you don't understand the questions, not ask for their answers".

Then, I tried to hide my smile and thought (and laughed silently) "It's payback time...Muahahahah...."

Now, I'm busy marking their exam papers...and enjoying myself with some rather funny answers. I put down the marks and thought "It's payback time...muahahah"

Didn't I tell everyone that I just love my job.

Anyway, on a serious note...I must seriously improve my teaching, am still trying on how to tackle the students.

Added: This morning we had the final exam, while others were finding their ways out of the exam hall, one student came to me and thanked me for all the instructions. One out of 55. I was flabbergasted and speechless. He was the one who looked sincere and admitted that he just could not grasp at the beginning of the course. After some personal coaching, think he did well.
Well...that makes it all worthwhile!

14 Comments:

Blogger soleilina said...

LOL.. i can absolutely identify with the way you feel since we do the same thing, that is to teach. I had my pay-back time yesterday! muahahah! LOL oh and yes, i looove my job!

7:51 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Being a lecturer, professor or a teacher really needs a lot of patience. I admire you as one.

11:09 PM  
Blogger geeth said...

Aaahh, that's why I have always been nice to my teachers and lecturers. Who know when I will need that extra 1/2 mark, right ;)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

I sometimes suggest to sleeping students to go to the cafeteria to snooze... they normally stay awake after that...

3:54 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

soleilina...thanks for visiting. Despite the challenges, students are fun to be with. And the fun part is off course the payback time..;)

Thanks Friday's Child.

Yes, Geetha...I just love it when students ask to help out, though I tried not to accept...that can be some kind of a bribe, y' know hehe!

lrong...the thing is, I don't even have a courage to say anything! Manyak susah la...

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even though 1 out of 55, I still think it is totally worth it.

though I don't have the experience on teaching, but remember we encourage mother to breastfeed? even though one of them called me told me I help her a lot, I feel all worth it.

2:43 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

ehwahhhh....I thot you are going slow on blogging and haven't come around for while. i pun dok busy. Tapi rupa-rupanya so many things to catch up. Ada resipi lagi. And sorry to read about your lil brother.

7:10 PM  
Blogger amira shasmeen said...

try teaching a bunch of 4 year olds .... I tried for a good 10 minutes and I failed miserably ... Yup .. am a kindy teacher now .. that's why soooooo ... busy and so out of touch ....

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i was in uni, we use to read newspapers in the boring lecture halls.

one day the nice lecturer tak boleh tahan, she told us off as nicely as she could...

well i suppose we asked for it.

4:20 PM  
Blogger cysev3n said...

i was among those students who were trying hard NOT to lose focus in such boring subject(S) or topics.. *Please note the (S). Its fun to teach right? I have a stage fright so, nampak gayanya ajar anak2 sendiri je la..

5:17 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Maria...yes, that too. Breastfeeding is a favourite
subject too. And it is a satisfaction knowing that with a little help from us, babies get the best from their moms.

5xmom...busy memang busy, but I'm trying. Very hard as I have forgotten a lot of things that I've been blogging in my head..haha.

amira...yeah, befor I think about my challenging job, I should think about Bea1's teachers;). have u updated your blog, must take a look.

Simon, simon...might as well read it somewhere else.

hazel...parents are the best teacher, remember? And yes, teaching is fun, esp. when we can get deep into discussion with students, sharing with one another.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Dilip Mutum said...

When students come to you after the end of the term and thank you for everything you taught them - I think that is the best reward that a lecturer can get.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Cherry said...

a sincere thank does go a loooong way - isn't it, Puan Dr Pensyarah

11:18 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

It is Adam, but seriously we don't get that often. In my case, I thanked my lecturers only recently, after I became their colleagues.

Ninuk...yes, and it takes away all the stress of the whole semester. Lucily we get long break after that;).

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home