Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Caramel Pudding

My favourite especially as buka puasa dessert. I watched Planet Food Mexico (if I'm not mistaken) hosted by Ben O’Donoghue, one of the cute guys from Surfing the Menu cooked it with a lady. I tried to follow her way of doing it (but I really can't taste the difference). Well, I mean just some addition to the ingredients.

I have eggs, sugar, vanilla essence (they used vanilla pod of course),1/2 can condensed milk, water and lime juice (never used before).

To make the caramel, I sprinkle some sugar to make it a thin layer, and heat it over slow fire. I try not to burn it further;) and let it cool.
While making the caramel, on another stove, I heat the milk with the same amount of water, sugar, squeeze some lime juice and throw the skin together (this one I tiru O'Donoghue ;)) and mix well, let simmer a bit.


Beat the eggs, strain the milk mix and mix with eggs.

I should have strain again before pouring over the caramel, but I forgot. The result is the lumpy egg yolk at the surface...urgh I HATE that!

The chefs bake it in water bath, but my oven is still at the old place. I have to resort to steam it, like I normally do.

I got an uneven surface, like a rolling landscape, siap dengan hills and valleys. Most probably is the water in the steamer was boiling rapidly throughout. I should have turn down the fire a little bit. Don't blame me, Bea3 was approaching and by the time I closed the steamer, she was pulling my pants.


Since the not-so-great look, I only took a close-up pic.

Hubby never really likes it, once since it is the egg smell. After that, he said by adding the juice, it would be better. And even suggested maybe only vanilla pod would make it the best.
I've been trying to look for vanilla pod here but could not find it. At least I'm happy now, someone mentioned
here that Penang will have it soon. If I still can't find it here, I will try to persuade Lil to post it;).
Recipe in kuali suggests fresh milk. I will try it and hopefully bake in water bath too, soon.

And why I choose to cook it myself, it is very expensive at bazaar Ramadhan. A piece smaller than Bea3's feet (can't think of any other comparison), cost RM1.50. I punya modal not more than RM5, dapat 8 bigger slices.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

would try it. caramel with lime juice is new to me :)

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cream caramel comes out from a box :)and it taste good.

10:26 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

But sofhib...I don't really taste the difference la, maybe should add more.

butterflutter...yeah minus the hassle;)

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mama22beas... interestingly enough, i remember somebody on the UKS mailing list sending out an email requesting for the recipe of this very same food... that wouldn't happen to be you would it? dejavu... :P

9:14 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

No nutter, not me...but I'd always love to join in the forum...tak de masa lagi

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home