Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mothering Mothers 2009

The idea was first initiated by Lil. On Mother's Day in 2004, 2005 and 2007, a group of moms from MMB celebrated Mother's Day in the most wonderful way: distributing gifts the other moms who were in a hospital taking care of their sick children. The gift might be small but being there, maybe only a few minutes listening to the mothers really affected us in special ways.

To me, running around taking care of 4 (soon 5) kids while having a full-time job, and without a live-in helper is nothing compared to what some of the mothers have gone through, especially those with critically or terminally ill children.

All a mom wants is to have her child or children to be healthy, loved, happy and well.

I still remember vividly, the expression on some of the mothers' faces upon learning that the presents were for them on that Mother's Days. For most it was truly a surprise as normally people visiting wards to distribute to the patients. It was truly meaningful to me and a lot of us who were there. We were truly humbled by that experience.

Here's some recap from the previous events

Mothering Mothers 2004

We managed to gather about 200 gifts contributed by MMB members. About 130 was distributed to mothers in pead. wards, and the rest for the nurses in conjunction with Nurses' Day that happened the next day.

The news articles from the event can be found here.

Mothering Mothers 2005

We had overwhelming response (maybe due to publicity through blogs) that we managed to gather more than 200 gifts and some cash. The cash was later distributed to a shelter home for single mothers and about 22 mothers from very poor background in AWAM.

We also had a balloon sculpturor to entertain kids in what we call 'happy wards' where the less critically ill children were warded, and on top of the gifts a mother contributed each mom a rose.




Mothering Mothers 2007

Even with a very late kick-off of the project we managed to collect a total of 175 gifts. As usual we have extras that we later distributed to antenatal, maternity and geriatic wards.

While we were at the antenatal and maternity wards, since most of us are veteren breastfeeding moms, we passed the words about what's best for our babies and shared our experiences with new moms there.

Read what I wrote about it here and here

This announcement comes even later than the one in 2007. I didn't plan for this earlier for some reasons. But with some support I have so far (and confirmation from the hospital) I have a strong feeling that we will make it again.

How you can contribute

1. Gifts
As much as we love to have each contributor to put their own personal choice/touch to the gifts, we are aware of certain matters regarding sensitivities related to religion, belief or taboos. Breakable items and perishable food are also not suitable. So we have come up with the following list of gifts:

1. Non-perishable food/beverage
2. Toiletries
3. Journal / Diary (better the one without rigid dates daily)
4. Photo album
5. Framed painting /pictures of landscapes, beautiful moments, etc
6. Mini cushions (for hugs)
7. Mini fancy containers / boxes
8. Small elec. appliances
9. Comfy slippers or socks

As for others: mini card + dry fragrant flower, scarves, aromatherapy candles, magnetic decorative item and sarong can be put as side gifts if contributors like.

Packaging
Normal shoe-box size, but not so rigid. I mean the size should not be too big or small as we don't want people to think we do double standard. Not necceserily in shoe boxes, some mothers came with nice paper bags etc depends on their creativity. Make sure they are properly wrapped or tied for easy transportation.
We agreed that the price per gift should be under RM20

We tried not to have cash last time, but we receive it on the basis that some volunteers did the buying and packaging. However, this year we may not have enough volunteers for that, so we do not encourage cash contribution.

2. Be in the hospital

Due to some reasons, the event will be held on Saturday a day before Mother's Day 2009. More info as follows:

a. Venue: Menara Timur, UMMC
b. Date: May 9th, 2009
c. Time: 9.30 am to 12 pm

3. Picking up or dropping off

Volunteer to do picking up or offer a place for dropping off.

Keep the pledges coming in and pass the words around (now I wish I have a more popular blog;)). I will update all the information about number of pledges, drop-off points once they are confirmed etc from time to time along the progress of the project.

And now we open this to ALL, not strictly to MMB members only. We consider this as a group of mothers to mothers. Feel free to ask any question.

A note to MMB moms: Please let me know if I have missed anything in this announcement.

25 Comments:

Blogger LindaMunshi said...

Those were good times! Too bad I can't join this year being so far away and all...:( Good luck to all of you anyway! :))

3:30 PM  
Blogger Cherry said...

ok ros, on the wayyyyyy !

-ninuk

11:24 AM  
Blogger UmmikuSayang said...

Salam Ros,
On our part, we can help distribute the info to our UmmikuSayang group and offer our shop - ALIMKids Bookshop in USJ9 as a drop off point for those in Subang/USJ area. The full address is 6-1 USJ 9/5Q, Subang Business Centre, 47600 UEP Subang Jaya.

We did a similar event last year too at UMMC. However, would need someone to pick up from our shop to bring to UMMC though as I may not be around that weekend.

Email me at lily@ummikusayang.com.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll ask my editor if we can put the story dalam paper ek..

ke

1:08 PM  
Blogger Moo Mummy said...

My DH will be in Bangi on Wed. May be he can pass u the presents if he has time to go to UM. Or i will ask my cousin to pass it to u.

3:50 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Linda, in trying to contact moms who were involved last time, you are on my mind too. Thought of at least mentioning it to you even though you're in faraway land...but you're here first!

Ninuk...tukar nama ya? Thanks...I know can always count on you wan!

Lily...you did it too. Alhamdulillah. And thanks a lot for offering...picking up and dropping places matter is a bit challenging for us now. That's why we need more offers for that.

Moo Mommy...yay! We have our first presents already. I will be in the office on Wed but if your hubby will be around here, I can pick them up from him anytime that day. I will send you sms.

4:22 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Ke...you know me la...I ni segan nak masukkan event ni dalam paper...takut orang kata gila glamor pulak...hehe. Anyway, if Lilian ada, kita boleh tanya dia ok!

BTW Lily...if I can't find anyone to drive to Subang I'll do it myself.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous lyza said...

Just read this ... i'll get in touch when i hv the stuff ready ....can u email me ur number, Ros ... at lyzaghazali@yahoo.com. Tks

10:46 PM  
Blogger chanelwong said...

You are famous...I will call you for detail....

9:19 AM  
Blogger Shamira said...

Hey Ros,

Been busy in my own world lately and so am glad to have someone like you to steer this and bring us back into realities of life.

I'm in. Will be able to help at the hospital as well on that day.

Will let you know by end of this week how many packages I will manage to get from friends and relatives

11:33 AM  
Blogger BuffaFly said...

Hi Ros...Sorry can't help you this year. I'm out of the country till June.

Great work keeping this up. You're really one fantastic capable mum!

3:42 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

lyza...thanks, show your more of your creativity in the gifts ya!

chanel...apa pulak famous tak de la, macam last events juga.

Shamira...thank God you replied. Thought you have changed your phone number already. Confirm you're coming ok, I will update it in the other entry.

Buffafly...thanks, I was hoping that you can come but it's ok...you're having a great time somewhere.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous charine chan said...

Thks ros for sending me a msg on this special event. i will personally prepare 5 gifts for this special day. Do let me know when and where i shall deliver it to. As for being there at the hospital on that day....emmmm i guess better no la, cos i'm kinda emotional....sob sob...

1:08 PM  
Anonymous KittyCat said...

Hi Ros...haven't visited for a long time. I'm not in the country either but could I participate with a pledge?

Not sure what a pledge is though as I can't see any notes on it. Sorry ya if I missed it out...eyes not working too well now that I'm preggy.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous lyza said...

Pressure !!!!!!!!!!!! ..:P

8:22 PM  
Blogger allthingspurple said...

Ros, you want me do the gift purchase and gift wrap and collection/drop off again like last year? Let me know okay? It's too much work for just you alone.

8:50 PM  
Blogger allthingspurple said...

Ros, where to add the pleadge? and to add for volunteer at UM and for collection etc?

9:55 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

No prob Charine....I sent msg to everyone in my phone lsit. You still think you can't go, (I went thru thread on 2007 you;ve said that too)...even if we divive into two groups: one for critical, the other happy wards. And you can always leave (n wait for us at the cafe for moms mini gathering later;) anytime when you think you can't take it anymore...think about it ok!

Congrats Kittycat...pledge is the contribution of gifts. I put the numbers here as we have a target to reach.
Now with a volunteer for shopping...yes I think I ada berani to receive cash if it is not troublesome for you to send it to us.

lyza...hehe!

Thank God you replied Christine... I was wondering whatever happen to you already. Cerita panjang...I will call you ok!

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Yatie SawaNiLa said...

Kak ros.. i knew that guy yang buat belon to... tapi lupa nama apa he was my ex colleague...masa kat Fuji Xerox... mmg dia suka buat belon

8:46 AM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Really Yatie...Fuji Xerox kat sek 13, Pj ke? If yes, I have someone I know a caver there. Wonder if he alos knows the belon guy. BTW, though I love the idea of havig him again, we have to put it KIV first as it depends on cash contribution also. And we do that after we are sure we have extra gifts already.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Hi Ros

I got your mail and I have replied. Then I hear nothing and don't know what to do. My pledge is 5 and like to be volunteer also. But how??

12:58 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Elaine...thanks just come to the hospital with us. On the event, please refer to my next post.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gifts r ready but 2moro i wont be near any dropoff points....:(. Ros where u staying? can i drop the gifts at ur place?

12:31 PM  
Anonymous charine chan said...

Eh anonymous? This is charine....

12:32 PM  
Blogger mama23beas said...

Will give you a call Charine.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home